Vintage GE Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I stay within 2 degrees ambient kegs show no temperature fluctuations on a calibrated temperature monitor over the course of 24 hours.

That's pretty decent! Once I move the data logging to a different Linux box, the constant draw from the Arduino should be minuscule. Once I get around to it, the Arduino will also handle the sensors for keg volume and such.

how would you sense volume?

That must be horrible! Hah. There have been discussions on sensing keg volume in a few different threads, but I'll more than likely go with weight sensors under each keg. The downside is that the majority of weight sensors are meant for instantaneous readings and drift when under a constant load. There are some things I can do to mitigate the issues, but the only other worthwhile solution would be flow sensors. Cheap ones aren't terribly accurate and accurate ones are terribly expensive.

Did you ever attach a drip tray? I love the one in your renderings but I can't find anything off-the-shelf that is even close.

Did you ever attach a drip tray? I love the one in your renderings but I can't find anything off-the-shelf that is even close.

I'm still using a welcome mat on the floor in front of it. I really would love to know where schmidty found his stylish drip tray, but he's not posted back with details yet.

kerber, where in the fridge did you mount your temp probe? Is it taped to the back wall?

Right now, it's just taped to whichever keg is fullest. At some point, I'd like to seal it inside something with a bit more thermal mass.

My father has this exact fridge in his garage. Been running mint as the garage fridge for the last 20 years with not a hiccup! Too bad I can't convince him to give it up yet. Not to mention it is in NY and I am in FL. :/

Right now, it's just taped to whichever keg is fullest. At some point, I'd like to seal it inside something with a bit more thermal mass.

Interesting, I hadn't really thought of that before but just read this post by zachattack in another thread which seems like a good way to go, so maybe I'll give this a try:

"I ... drilled a hole in the lid of an old White Labs vial. Ran the probe through the lid, and filled the vial with sand. Now the probe is surrounded by dry thermal mass, so no worries about water etc. getting in and ruining the probe after a while. I just have mine on the floor next to the kegs."

Hey i just got a GE fridge just like yours any advise on removing the door and the chrome pieces. The chrome all looks good and the fridge works just want to remove what I can before sanding and painting it.

Hey i just got a GE fridge just like yours any advise on removing the door and the chrome pieces. The chrome all looks good and the fridge works just want to remove what I can before sanding and painting it.

Honestly, it's been long enough that I can't remember the specifics. To give you a general idea, the door hinges can be unscrewed once you remove the chrome caps. The emblem comes off with a metal clip on the inside of the door.

Honestly, it's been long enough that I can't remember the specifics. To give you a general idea, the door hinges can be unscrewed once you remove the chrome caps. The emblem comes off with a metal clip on the inside of the door.

Thanks,

I plan on taking my time and getting a good kegerator out of it. Its my first build. any advise from doing this project that you can think of to help before I get going. I plan on cursing this forum for best taps and things of that nature.

Thanks,

I plan on taking my time and getting a good kegerator out of it. Its my first build. any advise from doing this project that you can think of to help before I get going. I plan on cursing this forum for best taps and things of that nature.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is this. If the refrigeration system works and is in good condition, be very careful with it. As you can see in one of my earlier posts, it can be separated from the rest of the fridge entirely. It makes it very easy to do whatever you want to the main cabinet without having to worry about the fragile bits.

How long were the shanks that you used in the door? I recently bought a vintage GE refrigerator off Craigslist and am looking to put two taps in it as well.

I noticed you put the taps basically where the freezer door is after you removed it. Is that correct?

How long were the shanks that you used in the door?

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like my shipping order from KegConnection has the lengths. I'd assume it was the standard 4 1/8", but it would be hard to know without pulling my door apart.

I noticed you put the taps basically where the freezer door is after you removed it. Is that correct?

That is correct. After modeling it in sketchup, I played with a few different placements and decided I liked the offset look and fit of it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like my shipping order from KegConnection has the lengths. I'd assume it was the standard 4 1/8", but it would be hard to know without pulling my door apart.

That is correct. After modeling it in sketchup, I played with a few different placements and decided I liked the offset look and fit of it.

No problem. I have the same style of GE refrigerator that you do and I'm just trying to figure out the best place for the taps. And I think that if you remove the freezer door, there should be plenty of room for the lines.

Thanks again for posting your progress on this. It's really inspired me to make my GE look great.

Right side and top half of rear finished. 220 grit with a vacuum attached to my orbital sander. Lead paint is not tasty.
Hmm, I've heard the exact opposite, which is part of the problem. Or maybe it's an acquired taste.

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing. I just saw a vintage GE chest freezer on craigslist I thought about retrofitting. This gave me some great ideas. :mug:

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing. I just saw a vintage GE chest freezer on craigslist I thought about retrofitting. This gave me some great ideas. :mug:

Do a search, I think someone on hbt did a vintage chest freezer conversion that looked awesome, might be some good pointers there.

Back