problems setting regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasabs

Reaction score
I just setup my first kegging system and I have a problem setting pressure. Is there a step by step sequence?

One problem is that when I set the pressure, lets say to 10 the needle moves to 20. I set the screw to lower it to 10 it then it creeps back to 20.

Other problem is that it sticks at one pressure and turning the screw down doesn't change it.

Eventually fiddling around and using he release valve I get the number I want, but I don't know if I'm displaying the actual pressure.

Full 5 gallons at 42 degrees

Any ideas? IS my new regulator bad?

It depends how high you are talking about the PSI being, but what is probably going on is the pressure is building from the keg being attached. What I would do if I were you is try to run through some beer. The pressure should drop, especially if you have the pressure turned down real low. You could also pull that little tab with the gas shut off to release the current pressure. It should be fine though if you turn the gas all the way down and pour some beer. Once the pressure starts to go down, you can slowly turn the pressure up. If you go over where you want to be, turn down the pressure and purge the regulator. Hope that helps.

What regulator do you have? If you disconnect the keg from it does the low pressure gauge remain the same? How about putting it onto an empty keg (no beer in it)?

Did you get a brand new, or used, regulator?

I just setup my first kegging system and I have a problem setting pressure. Is there a step by step sequence?

One problem is that when I set the pressure, lets say to 10 the needle moves to 20. I set the screw to lower it to 10 it then it creeps back to 20.

Other problem is that it sticks at one pressure and turning the screw down doesn't change it.

Eventually fiddling around and using he release valve I get the number I want, but I don't know if I'm displaying the actual pressure.

Full 5 gallons at 42 degrees

Any ideas? IS my new regulator bad?

It's normal for the pressure to adjust up quick and to creep back down slow. The CO2 past the regulating element has to be absorbed by the beer for the pressure to drop back down.

I've also found it normal for a new regulator to have a bit of 'creep' until the insides 'break in' a bit.
Normally it creeps down...you set to 12psi and 2 hours later its at 8psi...you crank it up again to 12psi...and again it slowly drops to 10psi.

but once you get the valves 'flexed' a few times they hold steady forever more.

Back