OregonNatives 08' hops selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonNative

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have some hops on the way. A bit late but better than never. I was delayed because I was out of town for a family funeral. I moved not too long ago and I figured it was time too get some hops established on my land. What do you guys think of my first year selection?

Rhizomes
(2) Brewers Gold
(2) Mt. Hood
(2) Williamette
(2) Nugget
(1) Magnum
(1) Zeus
(1) Newport

I think you're missing a few more Oregon hops, that's what I think! Throw out the Brewer's Gold and Zeus, and plant some Cascades, Chinook and Columbus!:fro:

I'm just kidding. It looks like an awesome list.

I have cascade, chinook, and willamette maybe next year we can do some trading or rhizomes.

Good selection for darkside brewing, although Nugget makes for a fine IPA all by itself.

I have Cascade, Willamette, Fuggle, Nugget, and Sterling. So far the Willamette and the Cascade are going to town, not so good on the others but hey it hasn't even been two weeks so I can't complain too much.

Hey everyone,
Evil, hehe I hear ya bro. I'm just getting established this year. Sadly some more of the Oregon hops that I would have liked were sold out by the time I got around too ordering them. I'll be sure too add those next year my friend. :mug: Thanks for the nice comments.

Homer, I wish bro! They were out by the time I got too ordering. Good luck with yours my friend!

Joker, that'd be great bro. I'd be happy too share with you. :D

David, thanks bro! My favorite beers are stouts & IPA's. I wanted a few lower alpha strains for less "hoppy" beers.

Farmbrewer, Sounds like you have one heck of a selection bro! Like you said its only been two weeks, I'm sure they'll pop up any day now. I hope you'll be sharing some pics I can't wait too see.

Well everyone, here is a picture of the rhizomes. I ordered them from freshops and I am EXTREMELY impressed. They got it here from Oregon in less than 2 days and they got me some very nice looking rhizomes.

rhizomes4-18-08Small.jpg

karbinator said:
that willa is massive.............i have 20 or better, and not that big.
get them in soil quick

Yeah man I'm surprised how big they were. Here is a little update. I finally got around too putting them in their holes. I filled the holes with a soil mix I made up. Its been a couple days and I have one of the nuggets showing its face already. :D

nugget4-24-08.jpg

A few snaps. 8/11 are out now. I believe 2/3 that aren't out yet are on their way. It looks like their getting ready too pop through the soil. The last one I haven't seen a sign yet (zeus). I have a bit of weeding too do around the holes.

hops5-5-08001Small.jpg

hops5-5-08006Small.jpg

hops5-5-08005Small.jpg

hops5-5-08004Small.jpg

Back