Beer Exchange?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explosivebeer

Reaction score
I recently moved to San Diego county and have been quite pleasantly surprised by the vast brewing community down here. There are a ton of great local breweries, as well as quality homebrew clubs.

One of the local and most acclaimed breweries, Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, is having a special first release of their Red Poppy Ale. Info on it can be found here: http://www.lostabbey.com/news/index.php

I was at a local beer shop the other day and was trying to find some beers by Surly or The Three Floyds or Bells, but to no avail. In fact, I was informed that those beers aren't in distribution outside their immediate area.

So that got me wondering if anyone from the Midwest who had access to those breweries would be willing to do a swap, whether solely for quality releases from respected breweries, or tossing in some homebrew as well.

Anyway, if you're interested in more info on the Red Poppy, here's the RateBeer page on it: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/lost-abbey-red-poppy-ale/77393/

Cheers.

We do swaps routinely as paying members.

Twenty bucks little man, put that !@#$ in my hand....if that money doesn't show you owe me owe me owe....

PseudoChef said:
We do swaps routinely as paying members.

Twenty bucks little man, put that !@#$ in my hand....if that money doesn't show you owe me owe me owe....

Money is tight at the moment and while I do ultimately plan on becoming a lifetime member of this site, it will not happen in the immediate future. For now, my priority is to use my available resources to fill out my equipment and further my knowledge and appreciation of beers and brewing.

Does that mean I should be excluded from sharing information and/or beers with other people? To me, beer appreciation seems to go beyond what level membership you have on a website.

Anyway, it was just a random idea I had to learn more about different styles and breweries. Hopefully I can find a nice trading partner. If not, I guess that'll just give me an excuse to go on a road tripping brewery tour one of these years. :mug:

explosivebeer said:
...Does that mean I should be excluded from sharing information and/or beers with other people?

To me, beer appreciation seems to go beyond what level membership you have on a website.

If you want to establish a PM connection with someone, what you do is up to you.

Publicly traded contact information though, is reserved for paying members with some specific rules. It's not that we're trying to exclude, but with thousands of non-paying "guests", coordinating a beerswap is difficult logistically, not to mention a bit risky (you know...those internet wierdos out there:D)

I'm not positive, but I don't think there's anything wrong with you throwing out an invite for interested parties to PM you.

explosivebeer said:
Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, is having a special first release of their Red Poppy Ale. Info on it can be found here: http://www.lostabbey.com/news/index.php
Sweet! and on my Birthday no less. Unfortunately, it's also my daughter's 5th b'day and the party is about that time.
On the other hand, the party is right around the corner from Lost Abbey...
Hmm,
Hon, I forgot something in the car...I'll be right back:D

There is no policy against setting up beer swaps that are open to everyone. There are some regularly scheduled swaps set-up for paying members, but that doesn't mean you can't set something up on your own.

explosivebeer said:
Money is tight at the moment and while I do ultimately plan on becoming a lifetime member of this site, it will not happen in the immediate future. For now, my priority is to use my available resources to fill out my equipment and further my knowledge and appreciation of beers and brewing.
i don't think anyone was saying you were excluded from swapping with others, just that as a member you enjoy certain benefits.

mailing beer can get quite expensive, btw ;)

explosivebeer said:
I recently moved to San Diego county and have been quite pleasantly surprised by the vast brewing community down here. There are a ton of great local breweries, as well as quality homebrew clubs.

One of the local and most acclaimed breweries, Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, is having a special first release of their Red Poppy Ale. Info on it can be found here: http://www.lostabbey.com/news/index.php

I was at a local beer shop the other day and was trying to find some beers by Surly or The Three Floyds or Bells, but to no avail. In fact, I was informed that those beers aren't in distribution outside their immediate area.

So that got me wondering if anyone from the Midwest who had access to those breweries would be willing to do a swap, whether solely for quality releases from respected breweries, or tossing in some homebrew as well.

Anyway, if you're interested in more info on the Red Poppy, here's the RateBeer page on it: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/lost-abbey-red-poppy-ale/77393/

Cheers.

If you want to organize a brewery tour then locals homebrew swap after that I would be in.
let me know

BierMuncher et al,

Yeah I definitely understand the need for privacy on here. This was just a random idea that popped into my head since regional availability can vary so widely. I think I've found a trading partner and am looking forward to trying some "exotic" brews, if anything from the Midwest can be classified as such. ;)

chione said:
If you want to organize a brewery tour then locals homebrew swap after that I would be in.
let me know

Hi Chione,

Are you in North County? I put together a North County SD map of the breweries and their tasting hours which can be found here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...5684238524812.00044234a9f3e6c25f817&z=10&om=1

I don't know that I have the time to organize a brewery tour but I'd be up for a homebrew swap. Maybe we can meet at Lost Abbey around 10 or 11 AM on Saturday so we can get some of the Red Poppy and swap a few beers of our own. PM me your info if you're interested.

I am in La Jolla, really busy the next three weeks but I am going to try and make it to the February Ale Smith tour. I should have an ESB, IPA, Pale Ale, and cider bottled by then.

I'll let you know

explosivebeer said:
BierMuncher et al,

Yeah I definitely understand the need for privacy on here. This was just a random idea that popped into my head since regional availability can vary so widely. I think I've found a trading partner and am looking forward to trying some "exotic" brews, if anything from the Midwest can be classified as such. ;)

Hi Chione,

Are you in North County? I put together a North County SD map of the breweries and their tasting hours which can be found here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...5684238524812.00044234a9f3e6c25f817&z=10&om=1

I don't know that I have the time to organize a brewery tour but I'd be up for a homebrew swap. Maybe we can meet at Lost Abbey around 10 or 11 AM on Saturday so we can get some of the Red Poppy and swap a few beers of our own. PM me your info if you're interested.

DeathBrewer said:
i don't think anyone was saying you were excluded from swapping with others, just that as a member you enjoy certain benefits.

mailing beer can get quite expensive, btw ;)

No @#*! about mailing beer being expensive. I sent three packages with beer out the Christmas and it cost me $75! I'm not a paying member but now you have me curious. Can someone PM me about membership info such as costs and benefits besides letting me have an avatar and more PM space. That stuff isn't really interesting to me.

explosivebeer said:
I think I've found a trading partner and am looking forward to trying some "exotic" brews, if anything from the Midwest can be classified as such. ;)

Surly Brewing, that's it. :p Unless you consider Premium Grain Belt, Milwaukee's Best, Schmidt, or Pig's Eye exotic. ;)

shunoshi said:
Surly Brewing, that's it. :p Unless you consider Premium Grain Belt, Milwaukee's Best, Schmidt, or Pig's Eye exotic. ;)
Its not all that bad. There are several large regional breweries such as Bell's and Great Lakes that have some of the best beer in the country, though less exotic than many CO and CA beers. In addition there are a number of smaller breweries including my favorite Imperial Stout from Hoppin Frog. As for beer swaps, most mid-Atlantic breweries import into Ohio providing a larger range of styles. But then again I'm on the other edge of the mid-west from you.

Craig

Back