Yeast too old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have found a starter that was in my beer refridgerator for 3 months. It got moved to the back behind some stuff and never noticed it as I switched to a different yeast and have a couple flasks. The starter wort is nice and clear and no funk growth in it. Is it still useable?

Absolutely. Just make another starter for it.

I've used washed yeast that was a year old. Took several step-ups, but I believe we underestimate the strength of these little guys.

Yea, definitely still good but you'll want to wake up your yeast with a small starter (just decant first) to get back any viability you lost.

I've had mixed experiences with yeast 3-4 months old. Sometimes it has worked, others it didn't. Definitely make a yeast starter to judge the viability, and then you will have your answer.

Beersmith seems to think a liquid yeast pack that's 3 months past expiry (that's more like 6 months old) still has 30-40% viability. Your starter is probably higher than that.

Im sure it is fine. But with time, yeast viability is going to be greatly reduced, and several step ups sounds time and labor heavy. At least compared with getting a new smack pack with 90% viable yeast. I more cautious then most brewers though, I keep my yeast fresh as possible and never go past 6 generations. 3 months just sounds like a long time for a starter, I would feel different if it were properly stored with glycogen and yeast nutrient.

Latest posts

Back