Will hops take over my yard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedIdiot

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just like the title asks, will hops take over my yard? I finally got my hop posts put in a couple weeks ago (4 posts, each 14 feet tall, with a 4 foot cross piece at the top).

I am debating about whether to just plant the hops in the ground, and just keeping my eye out for any hops trying to stray out of the "approved hop planting zone", or burying some kind of barrier around each hop rhizome to try and contain it to a smaller area.

Do I need to worry that much about them spreading? I do have 2 large dogs that developed a tendency to graze tomato's off the vine at our last house. The hops garden isn't currently fenced in, but could be without too much trouble.

Thanks in advance.

Basically, just dig a trench around them every Spring. You'll see any rhizomes that are creeping away from the crown so you can just pull them up then fill the trench back in. Mostly in the upper 6 inches of the soil so you don't have to dig too deep. Easy as pie!

They spread like crazy. Annual digging or a 6" deep edge barrier is about the only way to contain them.

Also, if you leave bines lying on the ground after harvesting, they can take root.

Basically, just dig a trench around them every Spring. You'll see any rhizomes that are creeping away from the crown so you can just pull them up then fill the trench back in. Mostly in the upper 6 inches of the soil so you don't have to dig too deep. Easy as pie!

Maybe I'll bury some 1x6 or 1x8 boards around the hops... maybe not. I need to get these rhizomes planted soon.

They spread like crazy. Annual digging or a 6" deep edge barrier is about the only way to contain them.

Also, if you leave bines lying on the ground after harvesting, they can take root.

I planned on cutting the bines off after the first freeze or after harvesting, and then either using them on the burn pile, or in composting.

Back