Georgia, Tennesee Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
I'm taking a trip starting next Saturday to Savannah and Atlanta with stops in Nashville and Chattanooga. I'm doing the SweetWater brewery tour and stopping by Brewmasters Warehouse already, but I was wondering about some good beer that is available down there. Anything local or something I just can't get here in Missouri? Any good beer stores you can recommend? Thanks.

Nashville, check out Yazoo Brewing and Jackalope Brewing Company... Flying Saucer and 12 south taproom are great beer bars.

Atlanta- SweetWater like you mentioned... ( I'm biased, I brew there), Red Hare Brewing Company is in Marietta and has a taproom and tours, Five Seasons is a great brewpub (there are three of them), Wrecking Bar and Twains are also great brewpubs, head brewer at Twains was a homebrewer before he got the job there. Hop City is a great bottle shop with some Homebrew supplies and a ton of growler fill options, and is next door to one of the five seasons locations. Ale Yeah is also a solid, smaller bottle shop...

Hope that helps...

Here in Chattanooga there is alot to check out. We have:

Terminal Brewhouse - great restaurant, extremely historical and interesting building, good beer.
Big River Grill - part of Gordon Biersch, consistently good beer, very good food, higher price point
Chattanooga Brewing Company - have a tasting bar only, but worth going to check out. Can find their beers in other local restaurants.
Moccasin Bend Brewing - another tasting bar only, but they feature events like bands and tours of their basement brewery. Beers are very much on the creative/weird side (in the brewer's own words :)
McHale's Brewhouse and Pub - my own joint here in Hixson area 15 minutes out of Chattanooga. Very small place, some pub foods, nothing in the way of fancy, but I can guarantee some of the best beer anywhere close, and a great variety, 6-8 on tap. It is still a smoking establishment (wish it wasn't...) so if that bothers you, you can always just pick up a growler. If you want to check it out, I'd be happy to show you around the brewery, its 2 bbl electric custom bcs rig.
Cheers, have a great trip, shoot me a line if you'd like to come by a certain time and see the brewery. [email protected]

dedhedjed said:
Nashville, check out Yazoo Brewing and Jackalope Brewing Company... Flying Saucer and 12 south taproom are great beer bars.

Atlanta- SweetWater like you mentioned... ( I'm biased, I brew there), Red Hare Brewing Company is in Marietta and has a taproom and tours, Five Seasons is a great brewpub (there are three of them), Wrecking Bar and Twains are also great brewpubs, head brewer at Twains was a homebrewer before he got the job there. Hop City is a great bottle shop with some Homebrew supplies and a ton of growler fill options, and is next door to one of the five seasons locations. Ale Yeah is also a solid, smaller bottle shop...

Hope that helps...

We've got our son with us. Any or all of those ok for kids? Any serve food as well? I was mainly looking for bottle shops, but we're gonna have to eat as well. If I could slip in a few good places to eat that also have a great beer selection, that would be good.

Budzu said:
Here in Chattanooga there is alot to check out. We have:

Terminal Brewhouse - great restaurant, extremely historical and interesting building, good beer.
Big River Grill - part of Gordon Biersch, consistently good beer, very good food, higher price point
Chattanooga Brewing Company - have a tasting bar only, but worth going to check out. Can find their beers in other local restaurants.
Moccasin Bend Brewing - another tasting bar only, but they feature events like bands and tours of their basement brewery. Beers are very much on the creative/weird side (in the brewer's own words :)
McHale's Brewhouse and Pub - my own joint here in Hixson area 15 minutes out of Chattanooga. Very small place, some pub foods, nothing in the way of fancy, but I can guarantee some of the best beer anywhere close, and a great variety, 6-8 on tap. It is still a smoking establishment (wish it wasn't...) so if that bothers you, you can always just pick up a growler. If you want to check it out, I'd be happy to show you around the brewery, its 2 bbl electric custom bcs rig.
Cheers, have a great trip, shoot me a line if you'd like to come by a certain time and see the brewery. [email protected]

We both smoke, so that sounds great :) I'll let you know and I really appreciate the offer man.

Five Seasons has great food, not your typical pub fare. Twains and Wrecking Bar both have good food also, not as fancy as Five Seasons... I bet you can find menus on their websites.

We both smoke, so that sounds great :) I'll let you know and I really appreciate the offer man.

No problem! Another thing I don't like about having a smoking establishment, our smoking laws require us to only allow customers 21 and over... you mentioned kids. Smoking laws make no sense...
However I typically brew or work before business hours so any visitors before opening are no problem.

dedhedjed said:
Five Seasons has great food, not your typical pub fare. Twains and Wrecking Bar both have good food also, not as fancy as Five Seasons... I bet you can find menus on their websites.

Perfect. Thanks man.

Budzu said:
No problem! Another thing I don't like about having a smoking establishment, our smoking laws require us to only allow customers 21 and over... you mentioned kids. Smoking laws make no sense...
However I typically brew or work before business hours so any visitors before opening are no problem.

That's cool man. If I can convince the SWMBO to do a another brewery, we're there.

The brick store pub in Decatur is great, Terrapin brewery in Athens is awesome, Moon River Brewing (brew pub) and the Distillery (Bar) in Savannah are great.

As already mentioned Yazoo is usually a pretty good time. Unfortunately, there aren't any awesome beer stores in Nashville, but Frugal McDougals and Midtown Wine and Spirits have a pretty decent selection. If you stop off at a beer store in TN, make sure to hit the beer side for low gravity offerings and the liquor side for high gravity stuff.

Thanks a lot guys. This is perfect. Anybody know about Habersham Beverage Warehouse in Savannah? Sounds like my best bet for a bottle shop in town.

I was just up in Minn/St Paul MN and I came back jealous and whoafully bummed about our brewing scene in Chatt.

The Terminal serves decent food and the beer they brew onsite is not bad. I am not a fan of Big River but it's pretty popular it just feels like a Chili's/Applebees to me. I really like the guys at Moccasin Bend and Chattanooga Brewing Company. They are super friendly but they don't serve food and they have limited hours. Moccasin is way off the beaten path, Chatt Brewing Co is right on the main drag of the trendy (my neighborhood) North Chatt so the family would have plenty to see and do. (Tip: Clumpies is pricey but awesome ice-cream, do it!)

Tremont Tavern (N Chatt also) has some GREAT burgers and probably the best selection of local and craft beer on tap and bottles. Can get crowded but it's a good little hole in the wall.

Mellow Mushroom is a chain, but it is a great spot for kids and they have good beer. Plus the chain started in Athens Ga (I'm a Georgia grad) so I'm biased.
+1 on Terrapin in Athens. Just 1.5 hours away from Atlanta but it's the holy land... Go Dawgs

If you're stopping by brewmasters, check out Harry's Whole foods at the corner of powers ferry and roswell rd. Huge beer selection and decent prices.

Hop City in Atlanta is always fun to look around. Heaps of different selections. Definitely worth checking out in my book.

In the eastern ATL suburb of Snellville look for Summits Wayside Tavern. Great wings and Reuben's and I've never seen less tha 60 taps in service. They are big on Rogue beer. From I285 take Hwy 78 east and it is just a few minutes past Stone Mountain. Tell them "Life is Too Short To Drink Bad Beer" and "Yellow Beer Sux" sent you.

In my opinion, Blackstone Brewery and Restaurant on West End Ave. makes the best craft brews in the Nashville / mid-state area.

12th South Taproom is the best beer bar in Nashville, and they've got killer food on top of that. Family-friendly, as well, as is Yazoo. Haven't been to Jackalope but I'd imagine they're as kid-friendly as any other brewery.

+1 to Big River in Chatanooga, great beer good food. If you will be in the north eastern area of Atlanta, there is Terrapin Beer Co. in Athens. They have brewery tours and tastings Thursdays thru Saturdays but no food. If you cannot make it to the tasting/tour at least find some of their beer on store shelves. Hoppy choices are My Hoppy Monster and Hopzilla, to seasonal fair all are good.

Stop in Athens on yer way to Savannah from ATL. 5 points bottleshop, Trappeze Pub, Copper Creek Brewery & Pub and the aforementioned mentioned Terrapin Brewery.
In ATL you could also check out Jailhouse Brewery or Red Brick Brewery too.

This is perfect. I should be able to have a good beer or two with dinner every night. Thanks.

Any local or southern / eastern beers I should pick up at a bottle shop while I'm down there?

Yazoo Sue is great, and their Hop Projects are interesting, especially if you can get a couple different batches side-by-side. Terrapin also has good stuff and I don't think you can get that in MO. Their flagship rye pale is a really solid beer, but I prefer their India Brown myself.

So, here I am on day 2; in Savannah.

Nashville - Blackstone was great. Beer was ok except the rye-demption IPA, which was great. Food was great. Whole family was happy, which is rare.

Chattanooga - the terminal was packed and had a 45 min wait, so we went to the mellow mushroom. I know its a chain, but I've never been before and the beer selection was great. Pizza wasn't bad either. Good crust.

Savannah - just got back from the Distillery. Awesome. Great food and beer selection. Couple oskar blues beers i cant get in MO and the Red Brick Hoplanta. Going to Moon River tomorrow.

You guys have really come through with some great suggestions. Thanks a ton. Bad news is ****$ing hurricane beryl. Sounds like its gonna ruin all our outdoor activities. Oh well I guess, beats working.

Back