Doubling extract ingredients for 5 gal recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mhill2079

Reaction score
I want to make an imperial pumpkin but instead of adding sugars or more light dme I was thinking about just doubling to original recipe ingredients to get the ABV up to where I want it. Is this an ok technique?

Works fine if you make sure to pitch enough yeast.

ADD: also, if you go really high with the ABV, some yeast strains will not work.

What types of yeast would work? And would it be wise to make a yeast starter for a double extract recipe like this?

How do you know which yeasts will go with a higher ABV. Is there a rating on most websites? Usually I use northern brewer.

The liquid yeast makers list alcohol tolerances on their websites. You should make a starter for most beers over 1.065 I believe. A lot of people use Mr. Malty from what I have seen. I typically just wing it.

Even if you under pitch, your beer will ferment, just not as quickly and with more by-products. I think it also stresses the yeast so they might break down faster once they settle. I never leave a beer in primary for more than a month though, so I don't tend to worry about it.

If you double a hopped can then you doubled the hops as well and the bittering too. It might work out well. Might not. Make a starter.

if you double everything, you double up your unfermentables too.

What is the starting recipe?

that recipe is a lot to double.

your going to be at 2lb DME 12.6lb LME.
at this point your going to need additional pitchings (not a double pitch) additional oxygenation and stepped nutrient additions. 14lbs' in 5 gallons is going to be a long hard road
and it will probably need something like lalvin 1116/1118 at the end.

I think adding a couple extra pounds of fermentables is the way to go with this one.

Back