Not a morning person...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
I cant sleep at night, and my boss has told me that i have to be at work early now. I need help getting up in the morning, i drink a diet rockstar, but that doesnt have any effect on me now.

advice on jump starting your day?

(i've attempted to go to bed early, but i just end up staring at my ceiling.)

Ambien.

Or you could drink yourself to sleep.

Or you could just forget about sleep altogether and do a line or two of snow every morning. That'll wake you up.

Next Friday stay up as late as you can, if you can hold out to 2-3 a.m. good. Then sleep until you wake up naturally. Saturday, same thing. Ideally, you would stay awake until about Noon Sunday. Then Sunday night don't sleep at all. By Monday evening, you should be ready to sack out at 9-10 p.m.

It is much easier to push your sleep schedule back than to bring it forward. I learned this trick in the Navy while doing rotating shifts.

I understand where you're coming from! In my 20s and 30s, I worked second shift jobs mostly, because no way I could go to work in the morning! When I went to day shifts, I suffered! I've never been a morning person at all. Now I'm older, and I can't sleep past 6:30. (Still not very productive in the am, though).

But since you have to do it, you have to reset your body clock. It sounds counterintuitive, but the first thing you have to do is give up caffeine except for a cup (or a glass if it's an energy drink) first thing in the morning. Don't exercise after 7:00 PM because it'll just give you your "second wind". Don't watch TV until late at night because it's stimulating to your brain. Really, start "shutting down" around 2 hours before you'd like to fall asleep. Read, or something else kind of quiet. That really does help put your body into a rest mode.

Also, don't take a nap in the afternoon. It'll just make it harder to fall asleep later on. Exercise after work so that you're tired at bedtime. Believe it or not, you can get used to this, but it is really hard.

Yooper Chick said:
I understand where you're coming from! In my 20s and 30s, I worked second shift jobs mostly, because no way I could go to work in the morning! When I went to day shifts, I suffered! I've never been a morning person at all. Now I'm older, and I can't sleep past 6:30. (Still not very productive in the am, though).

But since you have to do it, you have to reset your body clock. It sounds counterintuitive, but the first thing you have to do is give up caffeine except for a cup (or a glass if it's an energy drink) first thing in the morning. Don't exercise after 7:00 PM because it'll just give you your "second wind". Don't watch TV until late at night because it's stimulating to your brain. Really, start "shutting down" around 2 hours before you'd like to fall asleep. Read, or something else kind of quiet. That really does help put your body into a rest mode.

Also, don't take a nap in the afternoon. It'll just make it harder to fall asleep later on. Exercise after work so that you're tired at bedtime. Believe it or not, you can get used to this, but it is really hard.

Wow...yeah that makes sense thanks for the advice!

david_42 said:
Next Friday stay up as late as you can, if you can hold out to 2-3 a.m. good. Then sleep until you wake up naturally. Saturday, same thing. Ideally, you would stay awake until about Noon Sunday. Then Sunday night don't sleep at all. By Monday evening, you should be ready to sack out at 9-10 p.m.

It is much easier to push your sleep schedule back than to bring it forward. I learned this trick in the Navy while doing rotating shifts.

Hardcore....

I have struggled for years and years and years to try and become a morning person. I'm kinda obligated to now, with a little girl who climbs into bed (and oftentimes tries to kick me out) at 6:00, and with a puppy dog that needs to be walked before work. But still, I wish that I could get my body to want to wake up at 5:00. My core issue, I think, is that I just have such a hard time going to bed early. Cassie's down at 8:30 most nights, then I have an hour or so of chores to do, which means that I haven't really even begun to decompress until after 11:00. But, I've been like this for as long as I can remember....

I definitely see that as I am getting older I wake up earlier. I really can't sleep much past 8 or 9 and get up most mornings at 6. My advisor at school told me he gets up every morning at 4, gets his best work done between 4 and 9am. I hope I never get to state of things.

I've been reading a Civil War history book the past few nights in bed. Interesting stuff but a real eye shutter.

I'm 30, and I've been getting up for work @ about 4:15am for 11 yrs now... I'm still NOT used to it!!! :drunk:

:mug:

Young kids do help.

What I do is to drink beers at night to get sleepy and then very strong coffee in the morning to wake up. I like to live extreme.

dibby33 said:
What I do is to drink beers at night to get sleepy and then very strong coffee in the morning to wake up. I like to live extreme.

he he, I had probably 9 beers last night (had to pound some BOH while fixing the lawnmover), was asleep by 10:30, and wouldn't you know it....I was up at 5 going, WTF am I going to do now? Waiting for the coffee to kick in still, but I did go look at my beers for a bit this morning...that was fun :mug: :ban: :rockin:

joebou4860 said:
Have a kid
I am up at 6:15 at the latest....

happy-smiley-676.gif
Too true!

My coworker sleeps like 4 hrs a night. He seems to function very well. I often wish I were wired like that :D

Back