taste change from bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strecker25

Reaction score
Alright so this is somewhat of a strange situation that I dont know where to start. Over the past few brews ive noticed gravity samples taste great (prior to bottling) and the beers come out of the bottle tasting very similar (and not very good) First was an altbier recipe that I wrote, tasted great before bottling and after carbing up tasted a little too sweet, and just off. Most recently I brewed the fat tire clone which was absolutely spot on prior to bottling, and now it tastes almost identical to the alt. The only real recipe similarity was munich malt.

what could this be? I'm carbing to style with corn sugar and measuring it on a digital scale. I thought it might be a water chemistry thing, but i had brews over the summer come out just fine with tap water (cream ale, a couple IPAs) I will be kegging as of next week, so well see if its a bottle issue. But im stumped on this one. any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

Alright so this is somewhat of a strange situation that I dont know where to start. Over the past few brews ive noticed gravity samples taste great (prior to bottling) and the beers come out of the bottle tasting very similar (and not very good) First was an altbier recipe that I wrote, tasted great before bottling and after carbing up tasted a little too sweet, and just off. Most recently I brewed the fat tire clone which was absolutely spot on prior to bottling, and now it tastes almost identical to the alt. The only real recipe similarity was munich malt.

what could this be? I'm carbing to style with corn sugar and measuring it on a digital scale. I thought it might be a water chemistry thing, but i had brews over the summer come out just fine with tap water (cream ale, a couple IPAs) I will be kegging as of next week, so well see if its a bottle issue. But im stumped on this one. any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

What's your process for cleaning your bottles? What cleaner/sanitizer are using? What were the final gravities? I don't think its water chemistry but carbonation vs. no carbonation can alter the perceived taste of a beer.

star san with a vinator and a bottle tree for sanitation. Just to be sure I went with a fresh distilled water/star san solution last time since I usually keep it premixed on hand and wanted to be sure it was effective. FG on the fat tire is 1.012, and the alt about 1.010 carb level on the fat tire is 2.2 and the alt is 2.4

star san with a vinator and a bottle tree for sanitation. Just to be sure I went with a fresh distilled water/star san solution last time since I usually keep it premixed on hand and wanted to be sure it was effective. FG on the fat tire is 1.012, and the alt about 1.010 carb level on the fat tire is 2.2 and the alt is 2.4

Hmm I see. Gravities are great. Do you clean them too? If that's an insulting question, I apologize but if yeast from other batches are left behind, that my be why. Also, have you reused your bottles alot? It may be time for new ones. Regardless once you start kegging you'll probably only bottle for gifts and unique brews. Plus you can bottle from the keg.

not insulting at all, I do clean them with a hot rinse after pouring and then try to give them a PBW soak (but its possible some are just rinsed, then sanitized) I'd imagine your right on the kegging thing, I cant imagine myself bottling much after they get here. My biggest concern was I had a brewhouse issue such as water chemistry or something that I would want to correct regardless of packaging method

not insulting at all, I do clean them with a hot rinse after pouring and then try to give them a PBW soak (but its possible some are just rinsed, then sanitized) I'd imagine your right on the kegging thing, I cant imagine myself bottling much after they get here. My biggest concern was I had a brewhouse issue such as water chemistry or something that I would want to correct regardless of packaging method

I think your fine bro as far as water goes. The samples were fine. That's been consistent. I never have had water issues but I have had a few questionable brews. Probably the best thing to do is look at you process. If its changed a lot that may also be the issue. I was getting so technical that my original 10-15 step process turned in to 25-30 steps and I actually found that the quality was worse. Now on brew day I only use what I need, keep transfers to a minimum and clean my kegs/bottles the same way. Think back to your best beer and what you did to prepare to bottle. Replicate it going forward and I think your consistency will be back.

How long are you letting your beers bottle condition? Natural carbonation is a second, smaller fermentation with some off-flavors being produced early on. I wait a MINIMUM of 3 weeks after bottling before I put them in the fridge and allow another week of cold conditioning. Judging a beer before the three week mark is premature IME.

Good point I didnt think of that. The alt has been in the bottle since June, so that one has had its time. But the fat tire is only on about 2 weeks. Kegs will be here today though, so this question should be answered by the weekend when I have new beer on tap

thanks again for the suggestions

Sounds like ur priming sugar is not fully being utilized leaving the residule sweetness behind, how long aftet the primary or secondary if do that. Do you wait to bottle sounds like the yeast dormat to soon, which could be lack of or the viability

Now that you mention it...the alt was cold conditioned for about a month, and I didnt re-pitch for bottling. Maybe some sugar was left behind

I keg mostly, but still often bottle half of some of my 10 gal batches of stronger beers. I noticed that some of my bottled beers just tasted off from the kegged version. I got in the habit of cleaning the yeast out of my bottles with hot water and a good shake, and then at bottle time I'd just soak for an hour in sanitizer. Well, while bottling my last batch I decided to inspect the bottom of the bottles before refilling. I had at least 6 bottles or so that had some scum that was re-hydrated by the sanitizer. A few were just caked with yeast scum! Surprised I've yet to have a bottle bomb, but am definitely going to be a bit more OCD on my bottle cleaning. Just too much work to turn good beer into trash.

Could be in the transfer and handling...unsanitary tubing, plastic, etc. or introduction of oxygen. What is your technique?

Back