Kitchen Aid grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Sull548

Reaction score
Has anyone used on of these? If so how well does it work? Can you have full adjustment of how fine or coarse it goes? My wants one and I need a grain mill so I figured kill two birds with one stone.
Thank you

J-Sull548 said:
Has anyone used on of these? If so how well does it work? Can you have full adjustment of how fine or coarse it goes? My wants one and I need a grain mill so I figured kill two birds with one stone.
Thank you

Having an adjustable gap is the first thing I would be curious about. And, do you have a picture of this mill? The Barleycrusher is a beast. Ive milled many batches with it and the thing just won't quit. It's really built well. I'd like to see this Kitchenaid device!

I do not have a picture but they are on eBay and if you went to kitchen aids web site they have a picture. My wife wants to make flour. I want to make BEER.

This what you're talking about?

31RXfDetezL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have never used one, that being said I don't believe it is a good fit for homebrewing. While i'm sure it will work, not so sure the KA mixer is really designed for and would be happy crushing 10 - 20 lbs of grain on a regular basis. Burn up wifey's mixer and your in the dog house for sure! General consensus I have read here is that it is a lot of money and not ideal for brewing. Buy it for cooking and buy a Corona for brewing, Just MO.

Sorry to be so negative, but I have never heard any praise for these mills regarding crushing grain for brewing ??? Of course, YMMV:mug:

Some reading here...

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS430&biw=1229&bih=757&q=+site:homebrewtalk.com+kitchenaid+grain+mill+home+brewing[/ame]

We've owned a Kitchen Aid K5A mixer for over 30 years, and it is absolutely great at what it does. It routinely kneads the dough for two-pound loaves or etc., though it gets pretty warm. However, I'm in the camp that says 10-15 pounds of malt might be outside the design spec for the KA, and I am the proud owner of a Corona mill which, driven by an old 1/2" drill, gets all my grist done in fine style.

Well I have a meat grinder motor that uses the same drive. So I would power it with that. I was more curious on the mill itself. I appreciate all the input. Looks like I just may have to buy two.

I have one that I use on the 600 watt KA mixer. I've used it for 3 years so far with no problems. I routinely get 75% to 80% brewhouse efficiency using the "next to coarsest" setting, so I think the crush is OK. That being said, I had to modify the attachment a little in order to allow the milled grain to free-flow out.

Would I like to have a Barleycrusher? Sure. But I already have this and it seems to work OK.

However, like others have said, YMMV.

It works great you just have to open it up and adjust the screw inside to be more course

I inherited mine, its an older style. It took a little time to get it dialed to the correct grind, but I can knock a few pounds in just a few minutes. It is an old Kitchenaid with a Hobart motor and is seemingly indestructible. That being said, I don't do more than a few lb before letting it rest for a few. Don't know that I need to, but I do anyway. Grind is fine for BIAB, but not too sure about it for other AG. Fine for small-batch. Maybe up to 5gal, but not efficient for anything larger. IF you have one, use it. If you are in the market, better off getting something better for about the same price.

rare-find-in-box-kitchenaid-grain-mill-attachment-hobart-model-gm-for-k45-k5a

Back