WLP002 looks like curdled milk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I purchased WLP002 today with an expiration of 11/20/11. 60 minutes out of the fridge I'm ready to pitch, shake it up and it looks like curdled milk. The more I shake it, the smaller the curds get. It never mixes with the clear liquid. Let it sit for 30 seconds and it gels back into one layer of yeast. Each shake only produces curd like pieces.

My LHBS says it's very healthy and active and not to worry. I went back home and pitched it, it looked like curdled milk sitting on top of the wort.

It had the smell of yeast, not spoiled from what I can tell

What do you think? RDWHAHB or am I in trouble? :confused:

Toy4Rick

100% RDWHAHB. WLP002 is extremely flocculate yeast. When it's not actively fermenting it drops out of solution in those thick chunks. It's completely normal. Many British yeasts will have the same characteristic.

Thanks everyone for the confidence boost. :ban:

I just finished a Hef, think I'll have another :mug:

Toy4Rick

here is what I have spinning right meow... its getting pitched tomorrow afternoon

-=Jason=-

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a sign of the great flocculation those yeasts get. Grab a 002 or 007 vial and then any other vial of yeast, shake them, and watch the 002/007 floc easily compared to the other yeast.

Eric

I hate to threadzombie this thing.. I'm dealing with the same thing as WLP004 right now.. I turn off the stir plate and it all falls to the bottom in 30 seconds. Has anyone else had this experience with WLP004?

Back