55 Gallon Drum (Dimethyl Carbonate)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these drums stainless steel? The wikipedia site states that dimethyl carbonate is fairly soluble in water (13.9 g/100 ml) so it should be easily rinsed out. If the drums are plastic (HDPE) its not worth the risk as there are plenty of cheap plastic drums available. If it is stainless steel, I think you could easily clean them. When I got my SS drum, I wasn't sure what it had been used for. I cleaned it out with oxiclean. I then boiled solutions of both base (NaOH) and acid (H3PO4) in the drum. I felt pretty confident that I wouldn't have to worry about any toxic exposures.

MSDS says it's insoluble in water. Even if you could you'd hardly want to just pour it down the drain. It requires appropriate disposal.

MSDS says it's insoluble in water. Even if you could you'd hardly want to just pour it down the drain. It requires appropriate disposal.

Good enough for me. I'll be passing on these. I knew they were too good to be true. Not SS but they're only $5 each.

I found some 55 gallon drums for $20 each. They're not stainless steel but they are food-grade and held vegetable oil. Can steel that is not stainless be used for brewing?

If they are galvanized steel don't use them for brewing.

If they are food grade plastic, they ought to be fine but might harbor odors and/or flavors from the old contents that you won't be able to get rid of.

Stainless is not very magnetic. If you put a good magnet on it, it will not stick, or be VERY weak. I think galvanized is pretty magnetic.

And really, you should just get Stainless or the right type of plastic. ONLY.

I've decided to hold out for stainless. They would be stored in my garage which gets quite humid in the summer and they'd eventually rust so it's not worth it :)

Back