Long primary then cold crashing in keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
Hi all,

After reading a bunch of posts here, I am beginning to think that just leaving my beer on primary for 3-4 weeks, then transferring to keg and cold crashing may be the ticket. My main question, concern is around sediment in the keg. Will there be a significant amount of sediment in the keg versus clarifiying in a carboy for a week or so? (2-2 schedule usually used--- 2 in primary then 2 in carboy). I just want to make sure I have as little sediment as possible in keg. I don't personally care as much as SWMBO and the local patrons of my pub ho may be a little put off by things floating in their beer.

For most beers, what is the recommended approach to sticking with only a primary and moving to a keg while minimizing sediment?

Thanks!!!!

in my experience a good bit of the sediment will fall out after that long of a primary, just be sure not to jostle the fermenter too much when you're getting ready to transfer to keg. however you could also help reduce sediment by cooling down your primary once fermentation is complete, and keeping it as cool as possible for a bit of time. finally, you should remember that kegs draw liquid from the bottom, meaning that any sediment will be sucked up in the first glass (or two). i've never had any real sediment issues with my kegs though, so i wouldn't be too concerned.

Ya, just cold crash the primary if you can. I crash my primary for a week and transfer straight to the keg. Very little sediment to play with that way. My first pint is cloudy, but the rest of the keg is crystal clear.

What they said.

Also, don't move the keg around while it is carbing.

Whatever yeast keg you do form in the serving keg, you want it solid and compacted so there is just a little divot around the beer out tube when the keg kicks.

M2c,
P

Back