Paranoid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrCoastBrew

Reaction score
Being this is my first brew I am hoping that I am just being paranoid here. So my pilsner has been fermenting for a couple of days and so after a few beers tonight I decided to stick my nose down to the airlock at try to get a smell of the CO2 being released. It smelled kinda sweet yet a little skunky like a sour cheep beer. Is this normal for this stage in the brew? I am hoping you all will just tell me I am being a paranoid noob and that I just need to relax.

Yes...fermentation is often ugly and smelly...and that is when they are normal.

warninglabel1.jpg

:D

Drunk = Parinoid or does Paranoid lead to Drunk! Anyway thanks for setting me straight I can go back to enjoying my jug of McPelican Scottish Ale!

Just so you know, airlock sniffing is a perfectly acceptable activity here but don't complain when it doesn't smell like roses or you get a nose full of CO2 (it burns a lot). :D

Wait until you open your bucket and actually SEE what's been going on in there. Not pretty!

Thats the beauty about glass carboys, and the fact you can see the crazy reactions going on inside the beer. It is rather cool to watch. Not the most beautiful thing to see honestly but when you know the signs of a good fermentation it does become rather beautiful :mug:

I'm assuming you pitched a lager yeast in which case a distinct rotten egg odour from sulfur compounds will be present and are NOT appetizing but get scrubbed out later on in fermentation and conditioning.

GT

Back