Mashing now...help w/ hop schedule please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Mashing in as I type for a 7.5 (1/4 keg) batch as follows:

13 lbs breis 2 row
1 lb 60L crystal

I'm thinking 1 oz magnum aa 13% for my 60 min addition.

looking for advice for flavor and aroma / dry hop additions??

I have available:

glacier 6%
amarillo 7%
galena 13 5
cascade 5%
tettanager 6%
us halertau 3.5 %
magnum 13%

Any help is greatly appreciated! I've gotten pretty good w/ the mechanics of brewing, but recipe formulation is my weakpoint.

Brewing to style will greatly help you learn recipe formulation. It will also better allow you to express what you're going for.

amarillo or cascade would be good for a flavor/aroma hop for an american style pale ale...more citrusy and grassy.

tettnanger and hallertau are smoother, spicier, noble-style hops. Two of my favorites, although more for german ales, hefeweizens, etc.

galena and magnum are good for bittering with their high AA content.

never used glacier before.

Thanks DB, so I guess it will be the Glacier....3/4 at 20 min and 3/4 at 5 min.

I know I should be brewing to style but I kind of like to relax and "wing it".

Assuming that's a 5-gallon batch, you'll be pretty close to a decent APA, though the bitterness is going to be a tad high. Should be tasty.

FYI on the Glacier, if memory serves, it's supposed to be a decent substitute for Styrian, so you'll have some nice spiciness from those additions.

I know I should be brewing to style but I kind of like to relax and "wing it".

I'll say! I've never mashed in without knowing exactly what my recipe is....then again I'm pretty anal (huh huh, huh huh).

Your way does sound pretty fun. I've sure you would occasionally end up with some incredible "accidents". Just make sure you write down what you end up doing in case this is one of those times!

Back