Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the beginning and bit of the end. Tonight I got my yeast balls (only a pair? thought there'd be more in the package.) I cooked about 3 cups of thai jazmine rice, cooled it (water bath) and added it all to a jar (yeast balls crushed and sort of integrated.)

We'll see. :)

I have a listing on eBay selling dried yeast balls and someone contacted me about the use of these yeast balls for making a batch of cider and red wine. Says they've had great success. I've head of people trying this to ferment beer (I don't think it worked out so well) but never a red wine or cider. Guess what I'm trying next? I think I'll start off with a Welch's grape juice wine and see how that goes. From there, I'll move to a cider. They informed me that it works well so I can't wait to try it.

I have a listing on eBay selling dried yeast balls and someone contacted me about the use of these yeast balls for making a batch of cider and red wine. Says they've had great success. I've head of people trying this to ferment beer (I don't think it worked out so well) but never a red wine or cider. Guess what I'm trying next? I think I'll start off with a Welch's grape juice wine and see how that goes. From there, I'll move to a cider. They informed me that it works well so I can't wait to try it.

Doesn't it seem like a waste to use the yeast balls when the grape juice and apple juice don't need starch converted into sugars for yeast to ferment? A $1 packet of wine yeast would work fine too.
Good experiment, though, I guess. Let us know how it turns out.

You never know, different yeasts yield different results. I may give this a shot with Cider too. I've been brewing a lot of cider, next run I may do a gallon with a crushed yeast ball.

Harvested my first batch with RYR today and I can already tell I like it a lot more than the plain. It tastes like cranberry juice! Tart and fruity. Got another batch going using a bit of the lees from the first batch plus fresh ARL/RYR.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404518986.818574.jpg

Harvested my first batch with RYR today and I can already tell I like it a lot more than the plain. It tastes like cranberry juice! Tart and fruity. Got another batch going using a bit of the lees from the first batch plus fresh ARL/RYR.
View attachment 209317

How much RYR did you use? At least from the pictures it's very red!
I did not have favorable results using the lees in several attempts, YMMV.:mug:

Doesn't it seem like a waste to use the yeast balls when the grape juice and apple juice don't need starch converted into sugars for yeast to ferment? A $1 packet of wine yeast would work fine too.
Good experiment, though, I guess. Let us know how it turns out.

Yep, I've got plenty of wine yeast but, I like to experiment. I've made many batches of wine and cider and I'm curious about using the yeast balls for anything other than rice.

How much RYR did you use? At least from the pictures it's very red!

I did not have favorable results using the lees in several attempts, YMMV.:mug:

Half cup RYR plus 1 yeast ball for 5.5 cups rice

New batch had 1/4 cup RYR and half cup lees in the bottom and 4g ARL for 6 cups

Well.......... turns out that yes I used too much RYR. Im thinking Ill do another 2lbs with just rice, and mix the results. Should be drinkable then I hope.

Well.......... turns out that yes I used too much RYR. Im thinking Ill do another 2lbs with just rice, and mix the results. Should be drinkable then I hope.

I have found that too much RYR gives it a chalky texture. Just the right amount gives it a fruity and sweet flavor. Too much makes it tart and chalky.

Mixing it with another batch will be good. About 70/30 mix is just right, I found.

I made a little tutorial, let me know if there is anything i can do better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrBTS7Ija1w

Really nice. I'm about 1/3 in to my first batch of this and was wondering how I was going to deal with the filtration aspect of things. Got some paint filters on the way :). I'll definitely do what you did on the next batch (though I'll likely use rice from this one as a "starter" which I expect will work just fine.)

Really nice. I'm about 1/3 in to my first batch of this and was wondering how I was going to deal with the filtration aspect of things. Got some paint filters on the way :). I'll definitely do what you did on the next batch (though I'll likely use rice from this one as a "starter" which I expect will work just fine.)

I'm sure you're going to do what you're going to do but I had poor results trying to use the lees to start another batch on three or four attempts, others have said the same thing, YMMV:mug:

I put a strainer bag into a large Tupperware container and then dump the entire batch into the bag. Once moved, I just hang the bag above the container and let it drip down. Works perfectly for me.

As for using the leftover rice to start another batch, let us know how that goes. I've tried many times and have never had success.

I'm sure you're going to do what you're going to do but I had poor results trying to use the lees to start another batch on three or four attempts, others have said the same thing, YMMV:mug:

I put a strainer bag into a large Tupperware container and then dump the entire batch into the bag. Once moved, I just hang the bag above the container and let it drip down. Works perfectly for me.

As for using the leftover rice to start another batch, let us know how that goes. I've tried many times and have never had success.

What has been your process when trying to start a new batch with lees from another batch? Just adding the lees to the fresh rice?

What has been your process when trying to start a new batch with lees from another batch? Just adding the lees to the fresh rice?

I tried that, Lees plus an additional ball and taking a couple cups of actively fermenting rice and mixing with fresh, all were poor yield and what I did yield would not separate, one batch was a dump, I don't remember which one, new balls for me;)
Jak, did you ever get any more RYR?

I tried that, Lees plus an additional ball and taking a couple cups of actively fermenting rice and mixing with fresh, all were poor yield and what I did yield would not separate, one batch was a dump, I don't remember which one, new balls for me;)

Interesting, I thought LG said a while back that he had decent results with adding fresh lees from a batch with RYR to a new batch. Now hoping that the batch that I just started with RYR lees and fresh ARL turns out ok :cross:

Interesting, I thought LG said a while back that he had decent results with adding fresh lees from a batch with RYR to a new batch. Now hoping that the batch that I just started with RYR lees and fresh ARL turns out ok :cross:

Please post up your results. I haven't tried ARL yet.

Still waiting on my supplier in China to send it to me. I usually by a case of 250 bags. I ran out in November and, even though it's already paid for, he hasn't shipped yet. I did get a fresh batch of ARL though. I buy them from a different distributor by the case. Manufacturing date of April 2014. Really good stuff.

Still waiting on my supplier in China to send it to me. I usually by a case of 250 bags. I ran out in November and, even though it's already paid for, he hasn't shipped yet. I did get a fresh batch of ARL though. I buy them from a different distributor by the case. Manufacturing date of April 2014. Really good stuff.

UPDATE: I just got notified that the package has arrived! Finally got my RYR. I'll be updating my eBay listing in a few hours. I love how I had just about given up on this guy and at the last minute, he came through. Good stuff. I'm excited to have more. A lot more and make another batch.

UPDATE: I just got notified that the package has arrived! Finally got my RYR. I'll be updating my eBay listing in a few hours. I love how I had just about given up on this guy and at the last minute, he came through. Good stuff. I'm excited to have more. A lot more and make another batch.

Welcome to dealing with Chinese suppliers, I guess:)

With that much, are you still just selling the raw materials on eBay? Or are you planning to open a rice winery?

With that much, are you still just selling the raw materials on eBay? Or are you planning to open a rice winery?

Good question. The thought of opening a rice winery crossed my mind... The plan is to just sell it on eBay for now. It's been moving well so I figured I'd just let it ride that way.

Welcome to dealing with Chinese suppliers, I guess:)

Tell me about it. They are a B2B only and not set up with international B2C so I had to set up a Chinese RMB account and go through the motion. You'd have thought I was buying nuclear weapons.

Ok, I'm up to page 92 of this thread and I am fascinated by this process! I have all of the materials to make my first batch. Thai Jasmin rice, yeast balls, and a glass container.
I do have a question about the container though. The one I have is like the one pictured here on the bottom shelf on the far right side. My wife picked it up for $10 I think. I'd guess I would hold about 2 gallons.
It's basically just a cookie jar with a glass lid. It does not seal tight or anything. Should I put some cheese cloth over the mouth of the jar then set the lid down or just put the lid on and not worry about it?
I will be starting my first batch in the next day or so. :ban:

Ok, I'm up to page 92 of this thread and I am fascinated by this process! I have all of the materials to make my first batch. Thai Jasmin rice, yeast balls, and a glass container.
I do have a question about the container though. The one I have is like the one pictured here on the bottom shelf on the far right side. My wife picked it up for $10 I think. I'd guess I would hold about 2 gallons.
It's basically just a cookie jar with a glass lid. It does not seal tight or anything. Should I put some cheese cloth over the mouth of the jar then set the lid down or just put the lid on and not worry about it?

I use a cheese cloth and I have had good results.

Nice! Glad you're getting into this.

As for the jar, I'd use the cheesecloth and lid combination. Because it's fermenting, you really don't want something that is too tight. The idea of the cheesecloth is to create a gap so that air can get out and the container doesn't pop.

Just be sure to sanitize the jar, the lid and the cheesecloth (and anything else you're using) before you assemble it all.

As always, take pics and notes and let us know what you think of it in about a month. Also, if you experiment and come up with something else that you find good, let us know.

I stopped bothering with the cheese cloth, I use multiple gallon jars with a screw on lids and leave them loose and as far as sanitation I stopped starsaning and have been good to go, I know I'm taking risks but I have made quite a bit with no infections so I'm pretty comfortable without the sanitizer, YMMV:D

Weird! I certainly trust what you guys are saying as I've never done it before. But any idea why it wouldn't work? Perhaps if I took some out early (before the ABV was so high it killed the yeast maybe?)

Now I have to try it as an experiment, just to see.

I'll report back, certainly.

No need to use the cheesecloth. I've been using 1/2 gallon Ball canning jars with the lid loose, and a gallon jar with the lid just not fully screwed down without issues. You just need enough gap for CO2 to escape and not build up pressure. I've also had clearing rice wine in a 2L pop bottle continue to ferment under pressure that I periodically release.

How well does rice wine age? Does it improve with age? What was the longest people have aged theirs

Yes it works. Here's what I did (re: starting batch 2 from batch 1)

Last night I went home and looked at batch 1:

Most of it was a slurry of decomposed (?) rice. BUT there were a couple glutenous globs still holding together. So I took a spoon and fished one out (about the size of a quarter, rounded) and dropped it in a new jar.

Then I made a bunch of jasmine rice and cooled it (spread it out in the wok for a half hour or so) before stuffing it in the new jar.

I mashed it up a bit, but not overmuch, and put a lid on it.

This morning I could hear the hissing of the active fermentation on the new batch.

So, yeah. It works fine.

Theory (based on nonsense and guessing): If you wait until it's thoroughly fermented and try to salvage lees from that batch, the ABV will be so high that it will have killed the yeast thoroughly. But you can start from a batch that's 3/4 done (as long as it still has some structure to it) and it'll work just fine.

Yes it works. Here's what I did (re: starting batch 2 from batch 1)

Last night I went home and looked at batch 1:

Most of it was a slurry of decomposed (?) rice. BUT there were a couple glutenous globs still holding together. So I took a spoon and fished one out (about the size of a quarter, rounded) and dropped it in a new jar.

Then I made a bunch of jasmine rice and cooled it (spread it out in the wok for a half hour or so) before stuffing it in the new jar.

I mashed it up a bit, but not overmuch, and put a lid on it.

This morning I could hear the hissing of the active fermentation on the new batch.

So, yeah. It works fine.

Theory (based on nonsense and guessing): If you wait until it's thoroughly fermented and try to salvage lees from that batch, the ABV will be so high that it will have killed the yeast thoroughly. But you can start from a batch that's 3/4 done (as long as it still has some structure to it) and it'll work just fine.
I never said it would not ferment but that the yield suffers as well as the quality.
Please post up your results in a month.

I never said it would not ferment but that the yield suffers as we'll as the quality.
Please post up your results in a month.

Ah! I misunderstood then. Yeah, I definitely will. I'm interested to see how this goes. I'd like not to have to order yeast balls all the time.

Back