Palmer's Sheet Only Calculates Ions in the Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like to me that Palmer's spreadsheet for water calculations only calculate the ions in the mash, not the final beer right? I know only the mash ions are important for the mash pH, but for the taste of the beer (Cl, SO4, etc.), don't you want the ions in the finished beer?

i would say no. if you get the mash ions right the beer ions will take care of themselves. if I'm wrong I'm sure someone on here will correct me.

I thought so. Wonder why Palmer doesn't care about adjusting the sparge?

Because, except for extremely base or alkaline source waters it's moot. Generally, there are enough buffers in the grain to compensate and, there are measurement targets to look for to avoid tannic extractions.

Very few authors actually make mention of sparge water adjustments. In fact, the concensus is that if your water is extreme then all that is recommended is a pH adjustment to neutral.

However, the linked sheets assumes that not all of the ionic adjustments make it out of the draff thus, adjustments to the kettle are done to maintain the desired profile.

Bobby_M has also been gracious enough to video the set-up based on the linked calculator.

Back