So...I just popped open my first home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruprplxd

Reaction score
It was....
a Nut Brown Ale.
It had.....
a good fizz when I opened it (but that quickly faded)
But...
it had only been bottled for 1 1/2 weeks (I know...you're supposed to wait longer)
And...
it was only a half bottle (I know...you're not supposed to do half bottles)
And now.....
I know why they say to wait longer.
It didn't taste so great.
But.....
once I got past the icky taste, I think I could taste the potential.
So now....
I'll wait longer.....

Patience is the hard part. Once you get past that - or just have enough beer otherwise that you don't need to drink the recent stuff straightaway - it's smooth sailing. I think the longest I've let a batch of beer sit around before drinking any of it was about 3 months (a stout)... shortest time I think was 4 weeks (a hefeweizen).

Don't worry if the first batch isn't up to expectations even after letting the greenness age out, it takes practice and trial and error to iron out the bugs. I've certainly had some bum batches in the past couple years, some drinkable but not great, and two that I couldn't stomach due to a major screwup on my part (one of those was like my 30th batch or so - I really messed that one up due to being way too distracted on brewday). Sometimes things just don't work out as planned or go all to hell, but usually you end up with something reasonably decent as long as the methods, ingredients, and recipe is good.

It was....
And now.....
I know why they say to wait longer.
It didn't taste so great.
But.....
once I got past the icky taste, I think I could taste the potential.
So now....
I'll wait longer.....

Ya, I know what you mean. I popped open my IPA last weekend after 2 weeks in the bottle. Decent head, but WAY too green. Delayed gratification sucks!!!!!

Good luck with your baby. I'm sure she'll turn out great.

Latest posts

Back