Are You a Fan of Fuggle Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
I did an all grain recently and decided to use imported Fuggle hops in it. When I opened the bag I was not all that much in favor of the smell but I was low on choices. It was kind of "earthy" for lack of a better explanation, borderline something I might smell in my basement. Is that normal and do you like using them. The beer came out good but that smell came through in the beer and I would have been happier with some other hop aroma.

I haven't used Fuggles, but have used Willamette on numerous occasions (a relative of Fuggles). The Willamette had a great smell to it. No hop that I've used had basemet-esq aromas, or anything otherwise unpleasant, but I've only dealt with about ten varieties (and, again, Fuggles wasn't one of them).

...how were the hops packed and stored? In order to maintain flavor, aroma, and bittering potential, they should ideally be vac bagged and put in the freezer. The fact that they were imported makes me think that perhaps they've gone stale.

Fuggles is my favourite hop along with East Kent Goldings. I love the earthy smell and the great flavour of Fuggles. It pairs really well with EKG which is floral so I will often use a 50/50 mix of them.

Fuggles is my favourite hop along with East Kent Goldings. I love the earthy smell and the great flavour of Fuggles. It pairs really well with EKG which is floral so I will often use a 50/50 mix of them.

I do the same thing. In fact I just received a pound of each so I can make 2009 the year of english-styles!

I haven't used Fuggles, but have used Willamette on numerous occasions (a relative of Fuggles). The Willamette had a great smell to it. No hop that I've used had basemet-esq aromas, or anything otherwise unpleasant, but I've only dealt with about ten varieties (and, again, Fuggles wasn't one of them).

...how were the hops packed and stored? In order to maintain flavor, aroma, and bittering potential, they should ideally be vac bagged and put in the freezer. The fact that they were imported makes me think that perhaps they've gone stale.

Just brought them about a month before and kept them in the fridge. I guess they have yet to grow on me and I was not expecting the "earthy" aroma. Since that is how others describe them they are probably ok. I guess I threw in the basement smell for lack of another description. There are a lot of different basement smells you know.

"Earthy" is one way, but I've always felt they were just a very "soft" hop. Sort of like the comfort food of the beer world. Dunno, I guess it's hard to describe, but they kind of remind me of hunting for morels with grandma. I guess that's the "earthy" part, but I wouldn't describe it as "basement" (mold/mildew/standing water/etc.)

Can't beat Fuggles for English Browns (not dissing EKG). The earthy nose really broadens the flavor.

Yeah, fuggles for when I am feeling fuggly, which is anytime I want an English style, which is just about any time I want beer.

Back