Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I beg to differ with the title of this thread. Sometimes you do have to dump. Please watch my video and convince me I should not have dumped it.

https://youtu.be/rik0G5OwZ3o

Well bully for you. Guess what... the title grabs people's attention.. AND in doing so, it has saved tons of noobs from dumping beer what was simply green or sampled to soon, or had an issue that time helped mellow out.

Which it the point of the thread... I said it on here in this thread.. I'm not talking about legitimate problems. It's about the knee jerk panic dumps that new brewers tend to do.

And since this thread is what 9 or 10 years old, and full of stories of people who took my advice, gave it some more time, and were glad they did, then just maybe the fact that you disagree with my title is your choice, and has no bearing on anything else.

This thread has helped people, despite your opinion of it's title... and has helped people probably longer than you've been on here since sept 2016, or probably even since you've been brewing. So..oh well.

*shrug*

Brew on. :mug:

Well bully for you. Guess what... the title grabs people's attention.. AND in doing so, it has saved tons of noobs from dumping beer what was simply green or sampled to soon, or had an issue that time helped mellow out.

Which it the point of the thread... I said it on here in this thread.. I'm not talking about legitimate problems. It's about the knee jerk panic dumps that new brewers tend to do.

And since this thread is what 9 or 10 years old, and full of stories of people who took my advice, gave it some more time, and were glad they did, then just maybe the fact that you disagree with my title is your choice, and has no bearing on anything else.

This thread has helped people, despite your opinion of it's title... and has helped people probably longer than you've been on here since sept 2016, or probably even since you've been brewing. So..oh well.

*shrug*

Brew on. :mug:

I think he's just trying to get his youtube channel views.....imo

This post certainly saved some of my brews. It helped me learn that flaws and issues can mellow out. Of course, if there's a real issue, sometimes it's just not salvageable. The last infection I had was a good example:

I opened it up for a gravity reading and taste test at day 14. The gravity was 1.002. The taste was extremely sour. I decided to let it sit for another month to see what happened. When I opened it, the only way I can describe the smell is rubbing alcohol and paint thinner. Needless to say, I didn't have to the nerve to taste it. It also developed a powdery looking flim on top of it. Obviously it wasn't salvageable.

And I quote from the original post:

2)Never dump a batch unless it has mold or other noticeable signs of infection confirmed by a brewer with more experience than you. Or if it tastes, as Evan says, "like Satan's anus."

Sometimes a newbie might not know what an infection is actually like, they might get overzealous and declare a batch ruined even if it isn't. It might have a slight flaw or something that isn't a big deal, something that might go away. If you're not sure, let it sit. If it's totally gross and awful, it's probably not going to change. That's why this post is good, it tells you to take a step back and see what happens, if it doesn't improve, it didn't really cost you anything to wait and see. I've had beers that I thought turned out awful that I've gone back to a month or so later and found out that they are actually pretty decent. It never hurts to wait and see.

I guess the title could be more clear, but if you thoroughly read the original post, it's quite reasonable.

I had an imperial stout that I brewed. It finished too high and didn't taste great, roasty and bitter and hoppy too. I bottled it sometime in 12/2016 with sugar to prime.

I dumped most of it, but I bottled some of it and left it in my cellar. Some 8 months later, I tried it. It's somehow not only drinkable, but tastes pretty dang good. Now I have 7 bottles left and I consider it kind of a treat. Definitely going to drink the rest of these.

I beg to differ with the title of this thread. Sometimes you do have to dump. Please watch my video and convince me I should not have dumped it.

https://youtu.be/rik0G5OwZ3o

That's why I like plastic bottles, got an insanely overcarbed batch once that bloated out my bottles and gave me way way way too much head but not one of the bottles burst, the worst I had was one with hairline cracks in the plastic but then the air escaped through the cracks and the situation resolved itself.

Revvy, you don't need me to tell you that you know what you're talking about, but I just wanted to share another success story. Didn't even take long, either.

I usually make overly-hopped, late-addition ales. This current batch I'm enjoying was made with Crossmyloof US Pale yeast. I had never heard of this yeast, and I pitched a single pack onto a 1.080 beer. After talking to the yeast brewery, it turns out the pack only had 200 billion cells. Dumb mistake, I should have checked first. The high OG was a surprise; I guess I milled my grains too fine. I'm in the US, Crossmyloof is in the UK, so it way too late to get another pack and bump up my pitch rate. :(

After ten days, when I'd usually keg and start chilling, the beer tasted strong of under-pitching and low oxygen. Just a general astringency.

I closed-transferred to the keg, being not too careful about sucking up yeast from the bottom of the carboy, then submersed 2oz of Centennials, and waited a week while the keg sat at bedroom temperature. Getting there....
I dropped another 2oz bag of hops into the keg, waited three more days at room temp, then put it in the fridge, and carbed it.

First beer I pulled shot out the trub, and second glass hugged me with a delicious kick of juicy hops and warm alcohol.

I realize this will never taste as good as if I had pitched it correctly in the first place, but I would go as far as to say I took this from tasting like a shot of vodka with the aroma of bread dough, to being a delicious beer.

Cheers to patience and perseverance. :mug:

Just a note to anyone using those carbonation drops that call for 3, 4, or 5 tabs for low/medium/high carbonation, never use the low.

"Oh its a bock, maybe even a doppelbock", I thought "I'm running low on tabs and the style calls for low carbonation anyway".

I'm hoping that if it sits long enough the yeast will carb it up a little more. Its been a few months. I don't think I'll get foam retention, but it has finally carbed up enough that if you drink it quickly that it does have some dissolved carbon dioxide so it isn't completely flat.

I wish morebeer offered carafoam by the half pound. Still, one pound, unmilled, is still under $2, so maybe I just need to get over it.

It might be time to bring this back up to the top....
whistling.gif

It might be time to bring this back up to the top....
whistling.gif

Holy zombie thread batman.

I have a red ale that I screwed up and fermented way too warm(closet air temp ~68-70F) with nottingham and there is waaaaay too much banana for me now. I think I'm going to try this advice, but I want to free up space in my keezer for beer I didn't mess up. Is it better to pull the keg out and let it sit at room temp. or do I really want to keep it cold?

I made a 1 gal test batch of blackberry ale in which I used a cold-brewed wormwood tea for bittering. It was way TOO bitter. So I made another batch and blended. It was better, but still too bitter for my likes.

But rather than toss it, I bottled and carbed just to see what what happen with 3 or 6 months of bottle conditioning.

After only a couple of months I opened one by mistake, and it was great! Strong berry taste and the wormwood has mellowed into a nice herbal bitterness that goes perfect with the berry and malt. It is hard to believe how much change there was, night and day.

I have a qt swingtop sitting at the back of the shed, plan to let it age 6 months then see what it tastes like.

Back