yeasty flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_f

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have one question regarding yeasty flavor in my beer. I have read in the internet and they should dissapear with time, but still have questions:

I brewed a 2.5 gal batch and cut all the ingredients by half, except yeast :eek: . I used a full pack (7g?) of muntons gold. The vigorous fermentation was done in 26-48 hs. the beer was 8 days in the primary and 10 days in the bottle. last nigth it was quite yeasty in flavor.

is this normal?
using double of yeast for pitching may delay de maturation of the beer and keep it yeasty for longer time?
Is this type of yeast known for imprinting some yeast character to the beer?

I am trying to gather info to repeat the same recipe but correcting some of the problems I see in this batch... this is the way I've learn most of what I know now. :)

thanks in advance!

Your beer is just green...give it time and the yeast will all settle out. Better still, use a secondary, and much of the conditioning and clarification will happen before the beer ever gets to the bottle.

thanks! I'll let it sit on the bottle... (I hope I can keep that promise hahaha)

Question:
is it better to let it sit at room temp (68F) or can I benefit from some cold conditioning in the fridge, now that the carbonation appears to be done? (beer is an APA)

Comments:
yes, one of the things to change in the next batch of this recipe is to incorporate a secondary.

Also, It turned out to be darker dan expected, I think it is because of extended boiling and high concentration of the boiling volume. I am planning a full boil next time, 'cause I only brew 2.5 gal batches... so I am reading on how to adjust hops.

Lastly, it has a bit of chill haze! I am building an inmersion chiller next week.

well... first brew -> lots of mistakes -> oportunity to learn :D

I would keep it at room temp for 2 weeks for carbonation and then put in the fridge for a month to clarify.

concerning temp, one question- besides the yeast flavor, is it fully carbonated? If so, then I would think that it is ok to move to a cooler temperature. I keep mine at room temp until they are carbonated, then I move them to the basement, and stand them on the cool cement floor. They clear up nice after a couple weeks good aging. That extra couple of weeks is the hardest part, and many don't make it the full haul:D

Muntons gold is a good yeast esp for bottles and 10 days in cool temp should be enough for a clear beer(just) That fermenting time has me thinking you (26 to 48hr)fermented at too high a temp and thats why you have that yeast flavour(esters)for beer stick between 18c and 21c,the higher you go over 21c the more esters you get. At 20c and this yeast my bru takes about 6 or 7 days to ferment.
One more thing that can be a problem is when you bottled,did you let air into your beer (air bubbles in the pipe/splashin into the bottle)that can make off taste's, but i don't think thats your problem. one last thougt did you leave the beer sitting on the yeast bed after it had finnished fermenting?cos that can cause yeasty off flavours too.

Thanks for all the ideas!

yes, this one fermented quite fast. My termometer in the room indicated 20-22C. The very same room is now 66-68F (18-20F) and the bottles are there.

I think it is fully carbonated, I had a couple of bottle in the fridge for 28 hs and I got some turbidity that I associate with chill haze. In any case, the layer of yeast on the bottom of the bottle is very thin.

When I bottled, I used a filler, to minimize splashing, but admitedly it was my first time and I may not done it so good.

So, I'll give it more time, open one every now and then to see how it changes...

Thanks again to you all!

if your room temp wos 20c to 22c your brew will be a few degrees above that due to the active yeast, this strain off yeast(muntons gold) is a bit critical to temp,if you need something more forgiving try the other muntons beer. yeast its a bit cheaper too.
yep patience is an essential skill for brewers that books never talk about.

Brew chick said:
if your room temp wos 20c to 22c your brew will be a few degrees above that due to the active yeast, this strain off yeast(muntons gold) is a bit critical to temp,if you need something more forgiving try the other muntons beer. yeast its a bit cheaper too.
yep patience is an essential skill for brewers that books never talk about.

Good tip!
I just asked for a dried ale yeast and they came up with munton's gold. I understand that has a very good floculation, but I didn't know about temp range and stuff. I'll include that in my list of things-to-adjust in my next brew this coming weekend!

now the patience thing... do you know where can I get that? by the pound it's ok... :D :D :D

thanks again!

El Pistolero said:
It's generally sold in six packs in any good liquor store. :cool:

El pistolero: me pegaste en el ojo con esa! jajajajaja
in english: you are dead on, man! hahahahaha!
:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Back