British Brown Ale Nut Brown Ale ( very tasty )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcusKillion

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
notty
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Tasting Notes
All I can say is it is quite tasty .
I do not know where I got this recipe from but thought I would share it since it is very good . Tastes like Lil' sparky's ( great beer ) with more chocolate and fuggles . If I found it on this forum somewhere then thanks to the poster for this recipe

Mash in 15.63 Quarts water at 164.2 degrees - Mash Temp 150 degrees 75 minutes

Fly Sparge 4.88 gallons at 168 degrees

Estimated pre boil Gravity 1.051

7.04 Gallon Boil size
I would boil for 90 minutes myself as I think that makes for tastier beer .

Leave in primary for 3 weeks then bottle

9 Lbs pale 2 row
1 Lbs Caramel Crystal 60 L
1 Lbs Chocolate malt
1 Lbs flaked oats
.50 Lbs Victory malt
1 Oz Fuggles @ 60 min
1 Oz East Kent goldings @ 60 min
1 Oz Fuggles @ 15 min
Notty yeast

going to make this next time I think as I am low on beer I like and high in beer I do not like .
this stuff kicks arse. But I guess I will be drinking stuff I do not like for a while since this takes a month or more in bottle to taste real good and my blondes will not be ready for a couple months

How was the Fuggles at 15 mins? I've got the same in a recipe I'm working on at the moment (using EK Goldings), just not sure if it would end up being too hoppy being that late in the boil.

Not too hoppy . The chocolate and caramel bring in enough to balance it out This is without a doubt my favorite nut brown . I love nut browns . the next one for me would be Lil Sparky's which is a lot lighter . all others I have drank fall behind them both .
East Kent should go well in it also I would think . Check out this recipe using fuggles and EK but with less chocolate http://www.dubbeldachs.com/recipes_nutbrown.htm and it won an award
If no one has made this recipe then they are missing out on a great beer . I wish I could remember where I got this recipe at .

I like this recipe. Wonder if a whole pound of victory would keep the taste balance with the oats. I think I would like that extra nutty taste to it.

should add in that extra nutty flavor and maybe a bit of biscuit which would not be bad either . This does have a fairly strong chocolate / coffee bitter to it from the chocolate malt so I am not sure what would happen there . maybe it would need to be adjusted ? Someone with experience in this would be able to answer that i am sure .
I will post that question on wichitahomebrewers.org also to see what I get back .

Awesome, I have a Nutella brown in the fermenter right now that's almost exactly like this. I went for the full pound of victory, 3/4 lbs chocolate and Maris otter. It's got cocoa in it, but should be in the same ballpark as this, cool. Really looking forward to trying it now, thanks for posting.

that sounds like a real good beer . I like a good chocolate nutty beer . English browns just do not get it . too much bitter and not enough other .
I think I am going to make another batch this weekend . Not sure though since I have way too much beer sitting around that i need to drink up . I make a lot and do not drink but 2 bottles a day so 10 cases goes for a while . But I have a nice variety as long as I make beers I like but tend to make a few I just do not care for so they last longer but you never know how they taste if you do not make them .

I'm brewing this as we speak, I'm going to ad some cardamom to it try create a nice spice flavor for Christmas. Maybe take some to my work's Christmas party if it's ready in time.

1 lb of chocolate seems to be a hell of a lot in a brown ale. What was the predicted SRM/EBC of this one? Was that a typo because I reckon that would bring it out closer to a stout or porter. In comparison, in my brown ale I had about an oz and a half (45 grams) of choc malt.

1 lb of chocolate seems to be a hell of a lot in a brown ale. What was the predicted SRM/EBC of this one? Was that a typo because I reckon that would bring it out closer to a stout or porter. In comparison, in my brown ale I had about an oz and a half (45 grams) of choc malt.

Nope not a typo . Not a stout either . A very nice nut brown . It seems like a lot of chocolate but it blends in well . Must be them extra hops at the end .
Well within the guidelines of a american brown . IBU 20 - 40 ( 35.1 ) .. SRM 18 - 35 ( 27.7 )
After a month in the bottle it mellows out into a very nice brown . It is a bit too much until it conditions good .

I just brewed a batch . made it a little different . I used .50 chocolate because the chocolate I have seems real dark a lot of almost black in it . 1.25 Lb rice 1.5 Lb oats . Fresh this year whole hops .
Now on to the bad stuff . what a day . I started off by grinding my grain which is fine to begin with and then I made a mistake that cost me some efficiency . I ground the grain into a bucket and then poured the rice and oats on top . then that went into the bottom of my tun . All that oats and rice blocked my nylon filter bag on my false bottom/filter and made it quite hard to get the water to drain through the bag . Ended up a little low on OG I think . Not sure yet as I took a sample for pre boil gravity and put it in freezer to cool and forgot it and it is now froze solid with my hydrometer in it . So my sample for OG will have to wait for the thaw so I can use the hydrometer .

Hope I do not get a nasty infection . I rinsed my 20 foot pump hose off that had been dragging on the floor in my bucket of sanatizer and forgot about it and then washed my fermentation bucket in the same solution .

this is what happens when you do not drink beer while brewing . Stupid diet I am on , no alcohol for a week .

So I just bottled my latest batch . It has been in the fermenter all this time but has not conditioned since it has been at 58 - 60 degrees . It did settle out well and is nice and clean . I am not sure about the taste . Maybe after a month in the bottle it will be good . Never like browns until at least a month conditioning .
I still think I would prefer the original recipe over this one with less chocolate malt but never know till it is done .

So I just realized that our LHBS forgot the second addition of Fuggles (and I forgot to double check until now). We were hoping to brew today, and our LHBS is about 1.5 hours away. Should we postpone our brew day?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm thinking about brewing this, so I picked up a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale to get a feel for the type. I have a cold and I'm sure I'm missing some of the nuances, but it's good stuff. I think I like it best at almost room temp....

I went to a couple of rating sites to read some reviews. I love those places. No matter what beer is being reviewed, 'that guy' is bound to show up sooner or later, and say something so entertainingly stupid that even a novice like me can enjoy it.

One reviewer apparently thinks nut brown means the beer has nuts in it:
Pours nice dark amber colour, malty aroma, but other than that it’s pretty boring. Nuts come out a little bit with the bitterness. Boring, generally
Another one apparently believes it's a modern knock-off of genuine English brown ale (apparently he has no idea it's been brewed since the 1700's). I couldn't find that one again, but he carried on about modern brewers cramming oatmeal, nuts and everything else into classic beers, and said if he was served this stuff in a real English pub, he'd feel cheated out of his money.

Of course there were also the usual suspects who taste entire roadside produce stands stuffed into the bottle. One guy listed salted peanuts, chocolate, caramel, dark malts, dark bread, dark chocolate, more caramel, dark roasted grains with a smokey note, raisins, plums, sour lemons, vanilla, chestnuts, walnuts, almonds, more salty peanuts, leafy English hops, mild bitterness - and that was before he started discussing the aftertaste. :p

@piank If it were me and my LHBS was 1.5 hr drive away I would just brew it anyway. That's a long way to go for an oz of fuggles.
Presumably you will just lose most of the aroma, but being a nut brown you probably aren't after huge aromas anyway.
But that's just me.

Back