In-Fridge Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShake

Reaction score
So, SWMBO won't let me drill the good fridge door. And she won't let me drill the old fridge door, so, until I can get a sacrificial fridge or freezer, here is my temp solution to have beer on tap.

DSCN1889.JPG

Basically, its a cardboard box with a hole drilled on each end. To strengthen the tap side, it has a drilled 2x4 chunk. For weight, some old chain I had laying around. Tape shut and put on a shelf and POOF, done. Hefe on tap! WAY ghetto

Brewing spawns carpenters.....It all started when that pesky water got turned to wine.

Picnic taps are for wuses..... except for all of you currently using picnic taps.

Really, I just don't want to have to mess with adjusting pressures to properly use one, nor did I want to buy something I wouldn't use later, nor did I want to tell SWMBO that there was another option.

im confused, that is a cardboard box used to weight the tap down? so what do you have your beer in? I'm looking for something that will fit in my current fridge.. I think I can do it with a cornie, but I'll have to use some metal snips to cut out a hole in the bottom rack for it to stand. I'll be using a picnic tap..

/wuss

pldoolittle said:
drost said:
What purpose does the ketchup bottle serve?
To store and dispense ketchup.
You should really put your ketchup in glass carboys or kegs. I hear those plastic squeeze bottles are really oxygen-permeable, and you wouldn't want to oxidize your ketchup during lagering! :D

Funkenjäger said:
You should really put your ketchup in glass carboys or kegs. I hear those plastic squeeze bottles are really oxygen-permeable, and you wouldn't want to oxidize your ketchup during lagering! :D

:off:

Interestingly... Ketchup bottles are multi-layer plastic. All the layers serve a different purpose, but for purpose of this discussion we can ignore most of 'em. That said, the inner layers are oxygen permeable, but don't impart off flavors or absorb flavor from the food. The outer layers are not oxygen permeable, but may impart off flavors or rob flavor from the food.

Why do I know that useless piece of trivia? I had a ketchup bottle seperate once into an inner bottle and an outer shell. I was intrigued and googled till I found our why.

pldoolittle said:
:off:

Interestingly... Ketchup bottles are multi-layer plastic. All the layers serve a different purpose, but for purpose of this discussion we can ignore most of 'em. That said, the inner layers are oxygen permeable, but don't impart off flavors or absorb flavor from the food. The outer layers are not oxygen permeable, but may impart off flavors or rob flavor from the food.

Why do I know that useless piece of trivia? I had a ketchup bottle seperate once into an inner bottle and an outer shell. I was intrigued and googled till I found our why.

Now that I have read this, I have a strange feeling that I am going to be trying to take apart a ketchup bottle tonight after about 10 beers.....:drunk:

pldoolittle said:
I used to do that all the time as a kid in restaurants, just to be a PITA. All you really need to do is just keep squeezing it, especially around the corners and edges. Eventually it'll separate a bit and then you can keep squeezing around it and it'll spread until you've separated most of the bottle. Then the whole thing looks like crap and they have to replace it.

I never put two and two together and figured that the multiple layers were different materials for different purposes, rather than just being multiple layers of the same thing. Learn something new every day!

You could probably make it out of a small piece of plywood, and have it mounted to the actual shelf. run the hose neatly and its out of the way and no fear that someone is going to pull out...an empty ketchup bottle or used paper towel and jerk it out of the fridge.. what kind of keg is in there?

Back