This is sign of fermentation, no?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETCovey

Reaction score
image-1810655651.jpg

This is my first batch I'm quite excited and rather anxious.
I pitched yeast 15 hours ago with no starter does this look like fermentation foam or just regular old foam... This being my first batch I'm open to any info y'all can throw at me about the fermentation process. Thanks

That's fermentation. It'll build up even more, and then at some point fall back into the beer. At that point it is almost done, but can take 3-4 more days, or even a week or two, until completely done. That last little bit of fermentation takes a long time.

zacster said:
That's fermentation. It'll build up even more, and then at some point fall back into the beer. At that point it is almost done, but can take 3-4 more days, or even a week or two, until completely done. That last little bit of fermentation takes a long time.

That was very helpfull thanks. After it falls into the beer how do I know when it's done I've read that the amount of bubbles coming out of the air lock can tell you but I've also read that airlocks are not always an accurate measurement of fermentation "maturity" any knowledge on that subject?

airlock activity is not a good sign. You need to take gravity readings with a hydrometer. If you don't have one, get one, they aren't expensive. When the gravity stays constant over a few days you are done. The gravity should also be in some ballpark area based on the recipe, and if you used a kit it should say so.

zacster said:
airlock activity is not a good sign. You need to take gravity readings with a hydrometer. If you don't have one, get one, they aren't expensive. When the gravity stays constant over a few days you are done. The gravity should also be in some ballpark area based on the recipe, and if you used a kit it should say so.

Thanks

Back