grape juice not from concentrate wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tservice

Reaction score
I have a friend that lives in a area that does not have frozen grape juice concentrate. Which is what I use to make wine. Do you guys have a recipe just for regular grape juice, I can send him?
thanks

I have a friend that lives in a area that does not have frozen grape juice concentrate. Which is what I use to make wine. Do you guys have a recipe just for regular grape juice, I can send him?
thanks

Grape wine from welches juice? Hmmm.. Not what you asked for, but you can surprise him with something unique. My batch turned out fantastic!

Taken from:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f68/dragon-blood-15-days-31996/

"DRAGON BLOOD"

FROM DANGERDAVE'S EASY PEESY (SKEETER PEE) RECIPE

Ingredients: For a six gallon batch:

Step 1: To a cleaned and sanitized seven gallon primary, add---in this order:
2 bottles (48 oz each) 100% Lemon Juice (ReaLemon in the green bottle): if you want to recude the acid level use one bottle.
Water to about five gallons
20 cups of white granulated sugar (looking for a SG btw 1.085-1.09 after filling to 6 gallons*): use less sugar for lower final ABV. Stir sugar until completely desolved.
1 tsp. tannin (stir)
4 tsp. yeast nutrient (stir)
2 tsp. yeast energizer (stir)
3 tsp. pectic enzyme (stir)
Top water to six (6) gallons* (looking for a SG btw 1.085-1.09) and stir well
6 lbs. of Triple Berry Blend (raspberry/blackberry/blueberry--available in most grocery store freezer sections), frozen then thawed, in a nylon fine mesh bag (tied shut), placed in primary: Give the bag a couple of squeezes to work in pectic enzyme. May also toss fruit directly into primary, but this makes for a "messier" fermentation and subsequently will require more clearing time and racking.
Cover primary
Place brew belt: Keep temp in 70F-80F range.
Let sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours...

Step 2: To the primary fermenter, add:
1 packet of EC-1118 Yeast (starter, per yeast directions): Sprinkle yeast into one cup of warm water (100F), let sit for 15 minutes (no longer), stir and add to primary. Other yeast strains may also work well.
Stir Primary Vigorously!

Step 3: Each day, do the following, in this order:
Check temp
Check specific gravity
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter---remove friut pack: Temporarily place in sanitized bucket.
Stir primary vigorously: To introduce oxygen into must.
Replace fruit pack
Cover primary

Step 4: When specific gravity (SG) reaches <1.000, do the following:
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter---remove friut pack: Discard fruit.
Rack to cleaned and sanitized six gallon carboy
Add 1/4 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite (stir)
Add 3 tsp. Potassium Sorbate (stir)
Degas very thoroughly: I cannot emphasize this enough!
Add Sparkolloid* (or other cleaing agent): *1 tbs in one cup of water simmered for about 30 minutes. Add hot mixture to carboy.
Allow to clear undistrubed for no less than 1 week

You simply use 100% juice in lieu of concentrate and water. Check label ingredients and try to go for as natural as possible, potassium metabisulphite and sorbate are common in shelf stable juice and cause no problems when fermenting. If your friend has access to frozen concentrate, like Welch's 100% White Grape juice, you can use 3-4 cans per gallon. Or if this individual is in US and can order online a great multitude of grape and non-grape concentrates are found at www.homewinery.com

Here is a 5 gallon recipe that is easily adapted to juice:
5 gallons juice
pectic enzyme - follow pkg instructions
5 crushed Campden tablets (or 1/4 tsp k-meta)
yeast nutrient - follow pkg instructions
1 packet Montrachet, Pasteur Red or Champagne yeast (or wine yeast of choice)
Sugar to adjust S.G. (one cup raises SG of one gallon by 0.020)

With a hydrometer, check S.G. of juice. Starting S.G. should be 1.095 or higher. Adjust by adding granulated sugar if required and stir very well to dissolve. Add crushed Campden tablets and yeast nutrient. Cover and wait 12 hours, then add pectic enzyme. Wait another 12 hours and transfer to a 6-gallon carboy, add yeast( follow yeast instructions) and cover opening with towel or lid lightly attached- you want access to oxygen initially. Ideal temp is 68-70 but consult wine yeast for ideal temperature range, they vary. Stir gently twice a day from bottom of primary for 2 minutes. Ferment to 2/3 sugar break, and rack into sanitized 5-gallon carboy, topping up if required with juice. Apply air lock and check in a month to see if has fermented to dryness (S.G. at 0.990 or lower). Rack, top up, and set aside two months. May opt to rack again and add 5 oz of American White Oak or French or Spanish Oak chips tied in a finely meshed nylon bag. Do not use any other kind of oak chips. Refit airlock and move to a cool spot, above freezing- a stable temperature is desired. Taste wine after 30 days. If oak taste is sufficient, rack; if not, allow one or two additional weeks and then rack. Top up, refit airlock, and return to cool place for additional 2-4 months. Rack again, stabilize with k-meta, add sorbate if backsweetening and wait 10 days before bottling. Rack one final time before bottling-if sediment is noted in carboy after stabilizing. Ideally, you only need to rack every 2-3 months IF there is sediment in bottom of carboy. Age for a minimum of nine months once wine is clear and degassed (most times the wine left in carboy for a year has degassed naturally).

Thanks Yooper, but where he is they do not sell frozen.

Um, if you mix the frozen with water, it's the same as grape juice. So, if you look at the recipe for apple juice, it calls for " 1 gallon apple juice". A gallon of juice is a gallon of juice even if it started out frozen or not. Once you mix the thawed concentrate with water, it's not frozen any more. :confused:

Back