Not a happy customer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can also guarantee you that if NB will not honor it, someone else will, and is more than happy to aquire that customer from NB for $20.

I'd like to see you convince ANY retailer to send me a $20 gift card for buying a Blichmann burner just because NB offered it and I bought it from them after the promo expired. When you do, send me the info.

And like another poster mentioned, NB doesn't have listed anywhere that they would honor something like this outside the period in which they advertised. It's $20.

Plus, this situation is HIGHLY unlikely to sway people away from using NB. They have a good reputation, especially within the community. If I heard someone complain about this and say that I shouldn't use the site, I'd laugh. Why? Because his point is that he doesn't like their policy. They don't have to offer it in the first place.

The OP just has a sense of entitlement to the $20, which is completely misplaced.

Except people who get upset about $20 like this will probably do this repeatedly in the future. Is it worth the company's time, money, and effort to support someone who feels entitled to discounts and bonuses, just because other companies do it? If he ends up wasting hours of their time over the course of his buying stuff from them, while they run around trying to make him happy, they lose money on him by wasting time. They also lose out on profit each time they bother to give him a discount or free bonus item.

My company is in a service-oriented market, and we spend 80% of our time dealing with the bottom 20% of our customers and their whining about products, haggling on pricing, and pestering for free technical support (because "It's just once or twice a year!"). Imagine if we were able to use that other 80% of our time to focus on the customers that really do make us money!

You can make the case that they're losing out on his business. But they're really only missing out on hardship and financial loss from an entitled, selfish customer. Sounds to me like NB wins on this one.

I agree with the others. OP, you're not entitled to the gift card. You didn't buy during the promo. It's as simple as that. You asked if they would honor the promo anyway, and they said no. Why get so upset over $20? Obviously the $20 doesn't mean that much in the long run. If you're so broke that it does matter, why are you burning so much cash on an expensive burner, when something 1/3 of the price can do the job, too? Just let it go and enjoy the awesomeness that is the Blichmann Burner.

(Just ordered one, myself! Can't wait to try it out!!)

I agree with you in some respects. I find that the number of customers trying to take advantage of me, or that are demanding is just a small percentage of my business. Maybe 5%. Rather than waste time on them I just take care of them so I can focus on the rest of my customers.

You never know what that customer's potential is. Even if you make no money on them but they tell a friend or a family member and they become a good customer that customer has made you money.

I had a customer walk into my store wanting to return an item she purchased at a competitors store. She was about 100 years old and obviously didn't know what she was talking about. I tried to make her understand that she didnt buy it from me but she wasn't budging. I asked her how much she paid for it as there was no receipt. She told me and I gave her the money. Her grandson was with her and he was so impressed with my service that he told his entire family and I did roughly $10,000 worth of business with them over the next year. I didn't even lose money on the old lady because I returned the item to the competitor she bought it from and got my money back.

It really is just about wanting to exceed all of your customers expectations. If that is your focus then yes, some of your customers would take advantage of that but most just keep coming back because they appreciate it. People will even pay more money for it.

I personally prefer to deal with businesses that care about me as a customer, not one that is willing to sell me to another retailer for $20. I have done alot of business with NB but I found another business that is much more willing to earn my business so guess where I go for my brewing needs? I can assure you that will cost NB alot more than $20.

When I called there was no expectation to get the card. Thought I would at least ask and see what happened. I also chose NB to create a wishlist for my family and friends for the holidays. There is 2k worth of items there. Keeping my business for a 20$ gift card from which I would have spent at least another $100 on at your store seemed fair to me. I was advertising their business to my friends and family also by creating the wishlist. If my business and future buys are not worth the $20 gift card then I will find someone who does appreciate it and is willing to go the extra mile to keep their customers happy. Just got into brewing this year, and I willing be buyin much more in the future. Seems silly to me. However, according to many of you I am just a whinny little child who is looking for a freebie and pissed that I didn't get it.
I don't see it that way. I see it also thousands of dollars, current and future purchases that could keep a customer happy by working with them.

This doesn't add up, man.

If you called with no expectation to get the card, and didn't get the card, then why are you so pissed off that you didn't get the card? Sounds like you got what you expected, so you should just carry on as you were. But you're not. Instead, you're here, bitching to the world about how NB did you wrong.

This is why everyone is responding with the opinion that you're reacting like a whiny, entitled brat: Because you're reacting like a whiny, entitled brat.

On the internet price is king but if you can find a retailer that will compete on price and offer exceptional service, then you have found a great business. We do not have to accept "It is not our policy" from retailers. We have way too many choices on where to spend our money. We should demand better and kudos to the OP for saying so!

Your kudos are misplaced. Sure, it's nice if they'll retroactively lower their price, but it's not something that's fair to expect. I strongly disagree that expecting to be held to the deal you accepted when you made a purchase amounts to "low expectations."

You don't have to like their policy, and it's fine to shop around. But it's shortsighted to let something like this dominate your evaluation of the retailer. In the end, by reinforcing the "Price is king" idea, it will lead to worse and worse service for everyone.

Be reasonable in your expectations and in your evaluation of the exchange.
If you were otherwise treated well, got a good product at a reasonable price, and it was delivered on time in good condition, did that really all amount to nothing compared to the travesty of being held to the price you agreed to? I doubt it. Is there another retailer who will match or exceed the service you just received in every way that is important to you? Maybe---in that case, of course you go with them.

When I called there was no expectation to get the card. Thought I would at least ask and see what happened. I also chose NB to create a wishlist for my family and friends for the holidays. There is 2k worth of items there. Keeping my business for a 20$ gift card from which I would have spent at least another $100 on at your store seemed fair to me. I was advertising their business to my friends and family also by creating the wishlist. If my business and future buys are not worth the $20 gift card then I will find someone who does appreciate it and is willing to go the extra mile to keep their customers happy. Just got into brewing this year, and I willing be buyin much more in the future. Seems silly to me. However, according to many of you I am just a whinny little child who is looking for a freebie and pissed that I didn't get it.
I don't see it that way. I see it also thousands of dollars, current and future purchases that could keep a customer happy by working with them.

So you had no expectations on getting that $20 card, but when they said "No" you got butt-hurt over it enough it to post a whiny review on this forum?

Not buying it.

If you called with no expectation to get the card, and didn't get the card, then why are you so pissed off that you didn't get the card? Sounds like you got what you expected, so you should just carry on as you were. But you're not. Instead, you're here, bitching to the world about how NB did you wrong.

This is why everyone is responding with the opinion that you're reacting like a whiny, entitled brat: Because you're reacting like a whiny, entitled brat.

THIS!

OP: If you are no longer using Northern Brewer over this, who will you order from in the future if, say, a shiny new 10gallon Blichmann brew kettle goes on sale for $40 less than anywhere else? Is your pride worth spending the extra $40?

Crap like this is why I NEVER do sales at my business. It's not worth the hassle, too many people get greedy and want more more MORE. They missed out by a week and if you don't give them a couple bucks back they'll go tell the internet how awful you are and how much your business sucks.

Good grief.

I'd like to see you convince ANY retailer to send me a $20 gift card for buying a Blichmann burner just because NB offered it and I bought it from them after the promo expired. When you do, send me the info.

And like another poster mentioned, NB doesn't have listed anywhere that they would honor something like this outside the period in which they advertised. It's $20.

Plus, this situation is HIGHLY unlikely to sway people away from using NB. They have a good reputation, especially within the community. If I heard someone complain about this and say that I shouldn't use the site, I'd laugh. Why? Because his point is that he doesn't like their policy. They don't have to offer it in the first place.

The OP just has a sense of entitlement to the $20, which is completely misplaced.

Look, the OP"s expectation was that he just bought the burner a week ago, and he thought it would be fair to get the $20 gift card because it was just a week ago. Plus, NB said that he could return the burner, and then purchase another one, and get the $20 gift card. It's like NB is a dog trainer, and the customer is a dog, and NB is saying "jump through the hoop boy" and I'll give you $20. As a consumer, I am insulted by that. Why should the OP settle just because he has higher expectations of who he does business with than you do. If I were him, i would return the burner on principle, and find a business that doesn't treat their customers like circus dogs.

Seriously? over $20??

I received mine about 3 weeks ago, and i could honestly care less about a $20 gift card.. the fact is that you ordered it before the promotion, not their fault..

Just be happy you received a beautiful and exceptionally made piece of equipment. You paid what you expected, nothing more.

I personally prefer to deal with businesses that care about me as a customer, not one that is willing to sell me to another retailer for $20. I have done alot of business with NB but I found another business that is much more willing to earn my business so guess where I go for my brewing needs? I can assure you that will cost NB alot more than $20.

I agree that it's important that businesses take care of their customers. However, if you mean that you would ditch a business that had otherwise done a good job of that because they wouldn't give you $20 when you asked for it, you didn't really care about being taken care of, you just wanted to save a buck.

If there's more to it, then fine, and I don't mean to interpret your post as saying this is why you abandoned NB. But I didn't see any complaint from the OP other than "They wouldn't give me $20."

Sorry OP, but this is an ethics issue. Last week, you were happy to pay the price you paid for the burner. The sale was made. You are not entitled to a gift card because the product went on sale a week later. At the time you purchased the product, you felt it was worth the cost you paid for it. End of story.

Have some ethics.

Sorry OP, but this is an ethics issue. Last week, you were happy to pay the price you paid for the burner. The sale was made. You are not entitled to a gift card because the product went on sale a week later. At the time you purchased the product, you felt it was worth the cost you paid for it. End of story.

Have some ethics.

Gotta love the internet. Dude's first ever post here was.............................yesterday. :confused:

Look, the OP"s expectation was that he just bought the burner a week ago, and he thought it would be fair to get the $20 gift card because it was just a week ago. Plus, NB said that he could return the burner, and then purchase another one, and get the $20 gift card. It's like NB is a dog trainer, and the customer is a dog, and NB is saying "jump through the hoop boy" and I'll give you $20. As a consumer, I am insulted by that. Why should the OP settle just because he has higher expectations of who he does business with than you do. If I were him, i would return the burner on principle, and find a business that doesn't treat their customers like circus dogs.

He can do that, and NB will be better off without him. They have a huge base of loyal customers based upon years of oustanding prices and service. NB's gonna be just fine without him, you, and anyone else who figures they're too special to play within the rules.

And you would have every right to do that. Personally, I would find it a complete waste of time to be without a burner for a week just to stick it to the man (who, by the way, fulfilled every expecation that the customer had in the first place).

The Northern Brewer rep was telling the OP the truth. But, the rep probably also assumed that no sane consumer would do that. Why waste your time?

Gotta love the internet. Dude's first ever post here was.............................yesterday. :confused:

At least if someone stumbles across this thread, they'll see that the community agreed Norther Brewer didn't do anything wrong.

Because yes, looking back on it, there's a strong chance he/she is trolling.

Get over it...and would it hurt to be nice!

Clearly many of you are loyal customers....but WHY attack the OP. You may feel he is wrong...and Northern Brewer didn't do anything wrong...why not just state that....WHY attack the OP over and over again?

All you have really done is show yourselves to be angry and obnoxious....and probably drive people away from this site.

Get over it...and would it hurt to be nice!

Clearly many of you are loyal customers....but WHY attack the OP. You may feel he is wrong...and Northern Brewer didn't do anything wrong...why not just state that....WHY attack the OP over and over again?

All you have really done is show yourselves to be angry and obnoxious....and probably drive people away from this site.

Not remotely true. A few select posters called him whiny and a baby, but only after a few responses painted the picture a little clearer. Most of us posted pretty concise opinions on why we thought the OP was wrong, and didn't belittle or attack at all.

Or you could look at it this way:

NB says no we won't give you the gift card because you didn't buy during the promotional period. But we can't stop you from returning your burner and buying a new one.

NOT letting him return his burner would have been poor service.

And anyway, if I read this right, the OP was a satisfied customer right up until he discovered that he missed the promotion by only 1 week. Did the burner lose some quality at that point? Did he end up paying more than he agreed to when he bought it?

No. He's just disappointed that he missed the promo and wanted to bash a highly respected retailer in order to do some damage to them because HE MISSED OUT.

It's not like I have a dog in this fight. I'm just trying to tell it like I see it. The fact of the matter is that there are PLENTY of other online homebrew stores who he could have bought the burner from and who would love to have him buy stuff from them in the future. I'm sure he knows this too.

So why come on here and rip them for not doing anything wrong? He's spiteful.

I always have 100% awesome customer service from NB. Just last weekend I bought some grain, then when I got home realized they charged me for more than 2x the amount of grain. I emailed and Jeremy King said to stop back in, we'll solve it, no problem. I bought some more grain and stuffs yesterday and got it all squared away.

Stop being an entitled customer, they don't owe you anything more than what you buy from them. In my email, I even said that I should have doubled checked my receipt in store, and would understand if it's too late to get a refund.

If I tweet at NB for having awesome customer service, will that put the world back in balance?

intense debate. Don't care.

28899833.jpg

I don't think Charlie Wenzel needs to be worried - yet

I agree with you in some respects. I find that the number of customers trying to take advantage of me, or that are demanding is just a small percentage of my business. Maybe 5%. Rather than waste time on them I just take care of them so I can focus on the rest of my customers.

You never know what that customer's potential is. Even if you make no money on them but they tell a friend or a family member and they become a good customer that customer has made you money.

I had a customer walk into my store wanting to return an item she purchased at a competitors store. She was about 100 years old and obviously didn't know what she was talking about. I tried to make her understand that she didnt buy it from me but she wasn't budging. I asked her how much she paid for it as there was no receipt. She told me and I gave her the money. Her grandson was with her and he was so impressed with my service that he told his entire family and I did roughly $10,000 worth of business with them over the next year. I didn't even lose money on the old lady because I returned the item to the competitor she bought it from and got my money back.

It really is just about wanting to exceed all of your customers expectations. If that is your focus then yes, some of your customers would take advantage of that but most just keep coming back because they appreciate it. People will even pay more money for it.

So, you're basically saying we should bend over for every customer because maybe there's potential for a huge sale? That's all fine and good, but usually you can tell a good (albeit, misguided in this case) customer by their words and actions. I'm sure this little old lady meant well, but had no idea what she was doing. Most customers trying to do stuff like the OP aren't going to be shuttling $10k+ of business toward you. They just complain when something doesn't go their way, huff off, and then complain on the internet to a bunch of people that they hope will empathize with their entitlement. I'd compare your experience with winning the lotto. Sure it happens, but hardly ever.

Is this guy for real? No expectations means NO expectations... not a little expectations or no other expectations except... Don't buy something THEN decide to look at the warranty/return/price adjust policies... Could NB given you the card that you were NOT eligible for? Sure they could have, it's not their policy though. And for someone with NO expectations, why run off out the side of your neck? NB is a respectable company, much more respectable than you sir...

So, no expectation, why the disatisfaction? Your wishlist isn't a guarantee of business because if you found the same items cheaper elsewhere you would have purchased them elsewhere. I have wishlists at many online shops but I buy from whoever provides the lowest price with the lowest shipping.
Your complaint is empty IMHO.

Do you call and demand shipping refunds when future advertisements offer free shipping?

I can understand asking, but getting angry when they say no says more about you than about NB.

I ran a very modest promotion over the black Friday weekend that included free shipping for that limited time for orders over $200 and had someone complain because they placed an order the week before.

Was I supposed to offer retroactive shipping refunds? If so, how far back?

It's also hard to come out with product improvements because so many people moan about buying the un-improved version a week, month or year ago.

Let's be adults and agree that when you buy something, it's under the assumption that you've seen what the market has to offer, you're comfortable with the price, terms, and value and therefore make the purchase. If that's not how you view the model of commerce, then as suggested a few times, I probably don't want the business.

i think it was reasonable for the OP to ask for the gift card. most customers would not have done that, mainly because they would not have known about it (most customers don't follow up like the OP did).
i also think it is reasonable for NB to deny the request.
but...
NB could have looked at this as an opportunity to gain the confidence and future spending of a customer that they know has already spent money with them. remember, a $20 gift card is actually less than $10 in wholesale merchandise.
if i had been the rep at NB i would have agreed to the gift card.
what did NB have to lose? $10? if they deny the request what did they have to lose? unknown.
my .02

i think it was reasonable for the OP to ask for the gift card. most customers would not have done that, mainly because they would not have known about it (most customers don't follow up like the OP did).
i also think it is reasonable for NB to deny the request.
but...
NB could have looked at this as an opportunity to gain the confidence and future spending of a customer that they know has already spent money with them. remember, a $20 gift card is actually less than $10 in wholesale merchandise.
if i had been the rep at NB i would have agreed to the gift card.
what did NB have to lose? $10? if they deny the request what did they have to lose? unknown.
my .02

Did NB deserve to have their name dragged through the mud on this forum by the OP, for not giving over the $20 GC? I don't think so. That is the issue here.

read the fine print:
Offer valid 24 hours only.
Quantities are limited. Offer valid only online before December 6, 2012 at 11:59pm CST, or while supplies last.​

it's OK to ask, tho.

just don't get all butthurt if they say, "no," just quietly take your business somewhere else if you want

I ran a very modest promotion over the black Friday weekend that included free shipping for that limited time for orders over $200 and had someone complain because they placed an order the week before.

It's also hard to come out with product improvements because so many people moan about buying the un-improved version a week, month or year ago.

Let's be adults and agree that when you buy something, it's under the assumption that you've seen what the market has to offer, you're comfortable with the price, terms, and value and therefore make the purchase. If that's not how you view the model of commerce, then as suggested a few times, I probably don't want the business.

Great perspective from a vendor. And frankly, if NB were to have given in to the OP, it's just a green light for him to do it each and every time a promo runs. Not the kind of customer you want, because when you add that $20 to the cost of your time to fix his complaint, that might be the difference between you making a profit, breaking even, or selling at a loss.

My take...

OP calls to ask about the gift card, gets denied, says "dammit, oh well" and moves on happily with his life. Maybe even saying thanks for looking into it for me. That's what should have happened.

Here's a thought... Buy another burner, wait a week or two and sell the first one for what it cost you and you still get what you want! But that takes effort, never mind.

You know, after reading this thread, I just went and bought about $150 worth of merchandise at NB. Why? Because I've never had bad customer service from them and I think they deserve my business as well as yours. And FYI, I know I can make some of those kits cheaper at the LHBS but I bought them anyway.

If anything, the OP has solidified my position with NB.

To agree with the chorus a bit, this is not how economics work. Unfair complaint to me - I learned to brew with the little DVDs that Northern Brewers make and include with various kits.

My take...

OP calls to ask about the gift card, gets denied, says "dammit, oh well" and moves on happily with his life. Maybe even saying thanks for looking into it for me. That's what should have happened.

Here's a thought... Buy another burner, wait a week or two and sell the first one for what it cost you and you still get what you want! But that takes effort, never mind.

You know, after reading this thread, I just went and bought about $150 worth of merchandise at NB. Why? Because I've never had bad customer service from them and I think they deserve my business as well as yours. And FYI, I know I can make some of those kits cheaper at the LHBS but I bought them anyway.

If anything, the OP has solidified my position with NB.

Good man! What kits did you get?

We would NEVER do something like that. Don't forget to support your LHBS.

:tank:

This morning I see that Northern Brewer is offering 20$ gift cards if you buy a Blichman floor burner during a 24 hour sale. Well I just ordered a Blichman floor burner from them 7 days ago. I called them and asked them to honor me with the 20$ gift card, and was declined. They said it was too long ago to honor. Really?! A week is too long?
I then asked the customer service guy what if I order another one today and return the one I bought last week (which has shipped but hasn't arrived yet) I would still get the gift card then right? Of course he said yes, and I said then why not save us all the trouble and just honor the 20$ gift card? Was told they still can't do that.
I am very disappointed with Northen Brewer! Last time I make any purchases from this company.

The vendor can act as they see fit and the consumer is always free to go elsewhere if he's unhappy. If a vendor pisses off enough people he goes out of business. If NB is comfortable losing a customer over $20 - fine. That call is up to NB.

Since I'm guessing only a few people would've called them about this (I probably wouldn't have called), I'd think it'd be easier to just give the customer the gift card. It creates a lot of 'good will' for only $20. There would probably be a post on here talking about how great it is to deal with NB.

I have a similar situation every year with DirecTV. They give away the NFL package to new subscribers but want to charge me, a 12+ year customer, for the same service. Is that fair? I don't think so.

I call them every year and complain, and I usually get something for my trouble - but never the whole package for free. I'm kinda happy, and they're kinda happy at the end of the phone call. I can always cancel and walk away, but I don't because I like football too much.

It was obviously a good enough deal when you bought it that you... well... bought it. Now that it is a better deal, your original doesn't seem quite as awesome and you feel put out.

Just remember why you bought it in the first place.

Like many others on this thread I read it as whining "entitlements entitlements!"

And the no expectations post sounds like back pedaling. Your initial reaction implies complete expectation.

Y'know what happens to customer service employees who fail to follow sales protocols? Unemployment. I'm actually more annoyed by the OP's post than many (and more than I probably should be) because he is giving customer service a hard time for FOLLOWING THE PROTOCOL OF THE COMPANY. An alternative was offered. Maybe it seemed silly, but.... it was the protocol of the company. Again, I will reiterate, customer service employees get fired every day for bending to the will of loud, obnoxious, entitled, and greedy (yes, greedy) customers who demand you give them more than they are entitled to, or conduct business in a way that makes more sense to THEM. If the person at Northern Brewer was the owner, you were talking to the man or woman who knows the most about how their books are set up, and they are the one least likely to willingly botch them up.

Nothing is wrong with negotiating a deal, but to badmouth a company for not giving a $20 gift card that you weren't entitled to (and knew it) from the get-go? What a fart in a windstorm.

scottland said:
Last week, you were happy to pay the price you paid for the burner. The sale was made. You are not entitled to a gift card because the product went on sale a week later. At the time you purchased the product, you felt it was worth the cost you paid for it. End of story.

My thoughts exactly.
If they have to extend the special offer to everyone who has purchased that item recently then where does it end. What if someone purchases one a couple days after the sale and then finds out about the gift card. Should NB have to give them a gift card too? What's the purpose of having a special deal or special pricing for a limited time if they have to honor it for those that purchased outside that limited time? That's really not fair to those that did purchase during the offer period. I think you are being very unreasonable and displaying an attitude of entitlement. I know it can be frustrating to miss out on a special offer, but really think about it and look at the situation from the viewpoint of NB, not just your own.
Owning my own business and interacting with customers has helped me to see things differently when dealing with businesses when I'm the customer.

What a ridiculous thing to suggest to the OP. So he sells the first burner for the cost he paid... well who is going to want to buy it from him at the cost NB sells it for when they won't have NB to go to if there is a problem with the unit and need to return it? Also, the shipping alone for a person (ie. non-business account) will cost significantly more on such a weighty item than it costs NB to ship it.

It's a $20 gift card, any suggestion for him to return it or order again and sell it is just silly. It wouldn't work and would cost more overall. He just needs to get over the fact that he didn't order when the promotion was in effect. If he wants to take his business elsewhere so be it let him. But I'm smelling a whole bunch of hypocrites in this thread everyone rudely insulting him as a baby, a whiner. I can guarantee many on here have not gone back to a place because their $8 cheeseburger was screwed up and they refused to replace it or something similiar. Cut the guy a break, he was upset and made the poor choice to rant on here where everyone *WILL* slaughter you for it. I'm sure he'll think twice next time to come and post on here upset about such a thing.

Rev.

it is your business, and you can choose to run it any way you wish. If only one customer called about the free shipping promotion....seems to me offering a credit vs. a future purchase would have been a wise spend to keep a proven customer happy....and since only 1 called, it would not have created a huge issue. A proven customer is way too valuable.

More importantly...it is your business...but if my employer caught me referring to customers the way you did in this post I would be fired. Every single customer, and potential customer is valuable.

Now, personally....I am a great customer, I have been a retailer and small business owner far too long to be a PIA customer. Funny because I was just cruising through your products a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back