Really slow fermentation start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayroc

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch on Friday night using 21L/5.5 gal of pasteurized, unfiltered, no additive pure apple juice from superstore. Since I have never had much faith in that organization and because I wanted to concentrate the juice a little, as well as get my spices going I boiled it for 45 min. Two neat things I saw where a hot break, and the. When I cooled it if with my IC a cold break. So I picked my yeast Notingham and put it in my cold room. So yesterday it was not doing anything, and I figured I would grab another pack of Notingham and pitch it in dry, that shouldn't hurt right. So today I see the first signs of anything happening. A small amount of bubbles sitting on the surface, probably took all night to make 100 of them (no I most certainly did not count them, that's a guestemate to give the idea that it's not very active at all). My temp down there is 19C/66F but the carboys sitting on the concrete tend to be 18C/64F. My OG 1.050. So I am not worried yet, but just wondering what those who have more experience then I, which in this section is anyone who has made more then 1 batch, have any thoughts or advice.

Slow fermentation at that temperature is normal. Just relax, walk away and come back in a month :)

ellicit said:
Slow fermentation at that temperature is normal. Just relax, walk away and come back in a month :)

Figured but it never hurts to ask, thanks

Using a lager yeast and fermenting at temperatures between 50 - 55 will be slow but make for a much smoother brew.

Back