Fermwrap and Carboy Jacket? (for warm fermentation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old school heating pad without an auto shutoff that is rated at 60w. I thought I'd be safe and wrap some very thick material around it (think quadply canvas folded over 4 times) to make it more consistent and to hold the pad on. With that on "low" I accidently overshot my and hit 75 with ambient at 55. I had to peel back the material and let it cool. This will be an interesting brew.

I'd give it a shot without the wrap first to see how you do with live yeast in there. Live yeast will give you a good 5+ degree gain in the chamber over any standing water test you do. If you find you do need a wrap, you'll be safe. Just play Mr. Safety and keep an eye on things.

WY3724, the Dupont strain. I usually brew saisons with WY3711 at 73F - 76F with ambient house summer temperatures but I need a new challenge. I'm also tired of waiting until summer to brew them.

3724 is a strange beast. I have a friend who turned a great saison out around 85F - 88F.

Update: I've been advised NOT to have the carboy jacket touch the FermWrap. Potential fire hazard. Looks like I'm going to build a foam board fermentation chamber instead.

Just brewed a saison and my house temp is 71, i'm too looking for a 80ish temp to ferment at! Any ideas as to how much this fermwrap will raise the temp if left on? Will it continue to heat to the 90's!? I have 5.5 gallons in a glass carboy.

I use a heating pad with a temperature controller and probe stuck into the fermenter. I just put the fermenter on the pad and let the heat rise through it. Works great.

Yeah, sounds perfect! Sadly i don't have a temperature controller that can handle being in liquid. I have that regular temperature controller that has that bulb like probe. Not sure if it can be in liquid. Are you using a Thermawell?

Back