Forbidden Fruit 3463 = Good way to paint your room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
So I woke up this morning to a surprise that I never thought I would experience. When I was walking across the living room I noticed something on the floor. I turn on the lights to see my airlock in the middle of the room with crap all over it, then it hit me...

I go to the carboy to notice that the airlock blew off (Literally) and it foamed up everywhere. Not to mention that my white wall was now orange/brown. After swearing a little, the SWMBO wants to know what the problem is. So quicker then anything I know, I say I hit my foot and cleaned the wall, knowing if she sees it, out goes the beer brewing.

So I clean up, put on my blowoff tube and throw it into a 5gal bucket and go off to work. Stop home for lunch and to clean up the rest of my junk to notice the blowoff tube was filled with foam and overflowed the bucket. GREAT!!

So I clean up AGAIN, redo the blowoff and go clean the airlock in hopes of putting it back on in a day or two, to notice that the plastic cap actually broke when it blew off...

**Will posts picks after work of the few I had before cleaning everything up**

Yep, I, and I'm sure many others, have had that happen already, but in my case, not quite as bad as yours. I use a blow off tube for every primary ferment now. Interested in seeing the pics though.

Sorry for the delay, long day at work yesterday. Here are just a couple pics. Unfortunately, my phone took garbage pics in the low light...

Airlock with broken cap (5 Feet from Carboy)
2gx0dn4.jpg

Blowoff tube filled after emptying the bucket already
5o61ch.jpg

What my Carboy looks like
30hrlgl.jpg

Hardcore yeast you have there. Like a bomb going off in your fermenter. Blowoff tube was probably a good idea.

BOOM! Sweet Jesus I need to start using blow offs. I haven't had this problem yet, but it's just a matter of time.

I go to the carboy to notice that the airlock blew off (Literally) and it foamed up everywhere.

Can you tell us at which temperature were you fermenting?

After swearing a little, the SWMBO wants to know what the problem is. So quicker then anything I know, I say I hit my foot and cleaned the wall, knowing if she sees it, out goes the beer brewing.

Great one, Mr! :D
Cheers!
Piteko

Had the same thing happen. Was using WLP 051. It is supposed to be a California Ale Strand. Works great!

2011-03-15 06.12.17.jpg

Back