No flow through diptube and ball valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a batch and tested out my new diptube in my kettle. I used a SS scrubbie to try and block the trub, but I think it may have been too tight a filter because nothing would come out. After some shenanigans trying to get it to work, I ended up using a racking cane.

Has anybody else had problems like this? I don't know if the problem is a clog inside the diptube, or if the scrubbie was jammed too tight against the kettle wall, or something else.

Here's the type of scrubbie I use:
56224.jpg

Here's a picture of my diptube:
IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

Out of curiosity, did you have a tube attached to the other end of your ball valve? If you don't, it won't create a siphon and draw any wort out of the tube.

If you did, then you probably clogged. I just use the "Lil Sparky Hop Spider".

Yeah, my ball valve terminates in a 1/2" barb, and then I run a 1/2" ID tube into the fermenter.

Follow up question: is there a possible problem in the fact that my diptube is 3/8" and the ball valve and tubing is 1/2"?

Nope, shouldn't be a problem. I'd say you clogged your diptube then. Have you tried to whirlpool yet, that should bring most of your hop sludge to the middle of your kettle keeping that scrubby pretty clear.

I had the exact same problem when i brewed yesterday.

I have a 3/8" diptube, going into a 1/2" ballvalve and then a 1/2" tube to fermentor. I also put a scrubbie over the end. It also clogged, after not being able to syphon it either, i resorted to using a jug and a strainer bag to get it into the fermentor.

I thought it could of been in the difference between the size of tubes, but if that shouldn't be a problem, then how do people filter out the trub and hops?

I did a nice whirlpool and let it sit for about 25-30 min before trying to rack.

Oh, and one more piece of info: Regarding the "shenanigans" mentioned above, one of the things I tried was blowing some air through the tube in reverse, just to dislodge anything. I heard the bubbles come out, but still no flow.

I really suspect that I just had the scrubbie bunched too tightly, especially when you look at how close my tube opening is to the wall of the kettle. But is this even possible?

Back