Wee Heavy --- Needs Critiquing Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scroto

Reaction score
My goal is for a somewhat traditional Wee Heavy with intensely malty primary flavors and a subtle smokiness/earthiness in the background.

5.5 Gallons

GRIST

86.2% - British Pale
1.5% - Roasted Barley
12.3% - Rauch malt

HOPS

.75oz Magnum 13.1%AA @ 60 minutes
1oz Willamette 4.7%AA @ 30 minutes

O.G. - 1.095
F.G. - 1.025
ABV - 9%
IBU - 30-35

I'm thinking I'll mash around 154F with 1.25qt/lb for 60 minutes. Then boiling down perhaps a third of the first runnings to a syrupy consistency (probably gonna take temp readings with a candy thermometer... don't know what stage I'll take it to.) Sparge to reach 8 gallons and boil for 120 minutes.
Ferment with WLP028 Edinburgh Ale @ 65F

Suggestions..? Questions..? Please let me know.:)

The rauch malt is exactly half the % of the very smokey rauch beer receipe I have here, which needs to be bottle conditioned for about 6 months to mellow out, so it might not be such a subtle back ground flavor.

Anyone else?

I would say 12% is an awful lot of rauch malt. The BJCP and Jamil both advote not using any smoked malt. At most less than 1/4 lb. On another note, I have used the WLP028 before and loved it.

Rauch is very subtle and I dont think 12.3% is going to give much chance to taste it at all in a big malt forward beer. It may give some undertones, but I used 30% in a smoked porter and could barely taste it.
A few ounces of Peated would probably be more to the style.

Back