Which Hops Plant Well Together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorchingice

Reaction score
I am starting my hops garden this year and have already ordered the following hop rhizomes from Freshops.

2 Centennial
2 Cascade
2 Magnum
2 Chinook
2 Kent Goldings
2 Northern Brewer
2 Willamette
2 Fuggles

The hops are already ordered and being shipped out. If I jumped the gun and some of these are bad choices for first year growers I will have to deal with that as I go along. The reason behind rushing is that rhizomes are a limited time sale.

The setup I am going to use for growing the hops is as follows:

(4) 16' x 4" x 4" Posts stuck 3' in the ground using concrete.

Each pole will have 4 lengths of Coir Yarn running from the top of each post to the ground below.

(Basically 4 plants can be planted at each pole)

Here is what the estimated pole will look like.
singletrellis.png

One string is hidden from view But the plants will need to be planted at the base of each string.
hopslayout.png

My main question is; of the types of rhizomes I ordered, which should be planted where? Which types would do better growing on the same pole together?

I was thinking put the following sets together:
2 Centennial + 2 Cascade
2 Magnum + 2 Chinook
2 Kent Goldings + 2 Northern Brewer
2 Willamette + 2 Fuggles

My reasoning behind this was which plants share the most common attributes of the others. (Like willamette is a hybrid of fuggle) Then I went with closest Alpha Acid rating. Was this a good plan or could someone give me a better design planting plan.

Also When planting these should I put them in a cross planting method (1 fuggle across from the other or should I plant the 2 fuggles right next to each other?

Also when storing the rhizomes until the weather is right for planting, How should they be stored?

Thank you for your time.

Brian

Rhizomes should be stored in the fridge a bit moist. Wrap a damp paper towel around them and you'll be fine.

As for what to plant together...I think you've got the right idea if you absolutely have to plant them together. I'd suggest different poles for each variety, but that's because I don't like a mess at harvest time.

Your rhizomes will tangle together at the top and make it nearly impossible to tell what you're picking. If you don't mind throwing them all in a bag together, then go for it.

Hey Scorchingice,

I am doing a very similar design with 10 poles this April. I do have 4 bars coming out at the top of the pole, so the plants can grow straight up, and be easily lowered individually (twine thru eye-hook and back down to stake).

For my plants, I choose based upon what part of the season they mature in... early, mid or late. (check out this pro-brewer stie for hop data) If you want to harvest all the plants on one pole at the same time, you may want to group them by what part of the season they mature in. All the early season on one pole, the late season on another, etc..

This is important for me, as I will have to make a special trip out of state to harvest my hops, and I want them all to be ready at the same time.

This is my first time growing hops, so this was just my approach... not sure how it will pan out!
--LexusChris

Hey Scorchingice,

I am doing a very similar design with 10 poles this April. I do have 4 bars coming out at the top of the pole, so the plants can grow straight up, and be easily lowered individually (twine thru eye-hook and back down to stake).

For my plants, I choose based upon what part of the season they mature in... early, mid or late. (check out this pro-brewer stie for hop data) If you want to harvest all the plants on one pole at the same time, you may want to group them by what part of the season they mature in. All the early season on one pole, the late season on another, etc..

This is important for me, as I will have to make a special trip out of state to harvest my hops, and I want them all to be ready at the same time.

This is my first time growing hops, so this was just my approach... not sure how it will pan out!
--LexusChris

The 4 way bar idea is a nice one. Ill think about adding it before planting thank you.

Also thank you for that hop information link. I will use it when planning.

Back