How do you like to transfer from kettle to primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
I tend to carefully pour the wort directly from my brew kettle to my primary, but I read somewhere on here that aerating the wort while it's too hot can be bad for it. Is a ladle preferable? It's one of those funny little parts of my brewing that I've never bothered to really analyze before.

If you can chill your wort while it's still in the kettle, that's preferred. If doing a partial boil, do your ice bath before transferring and hot side aeration's a non-issue. Full-boils, you really should have an immersion chiller or CFC. An immersion chiller, you really WANT to cool the wort in the kettle, you place the chiller in the wort while it's still boiling to sterilize it.

If your wort is chilled before transferring, you can beat the hell out of it (literally, some people use whisks and stuff) while transferring to get it aerated.

I cool the wort first, then just dump it in the primary and add make up water to the 5 gallon mark. Makes for good aeration without a stone.

I've been full boiling lately (still on extract but practicing for when I go all grain) so I use an immersion chiller in the kettle. Then I pour the cooled wort into my primary through a coarse strainer being careful to leave as much hops and break in the kettle. I'm not anal about it though because I don't mind getting it into the primary since I'll get the beer off it when I rack to secondary. If you're not using a stone oxynation system or an air pump, etc, you're gonna want to slosh the crap out of that cooled wort anyway. Pour it from high up and let it foam away.

I cool it in the kettle with an immersion chiller & then just let it splash into the fermenting bucket. I still aerate before pitching.

Once mine is cool, I take the immersion chiller and slosh it up and down quite a bit to aerate. Then I sometimes pour back and forth from pot to fermenter bucket. As long as I'm below 80 degrees .... Lots of aeration.

My brew kettles have valves on them, so I gravity feed or pump (depending on the size/location of the boil) through a counterflow chiller into the fermenter. I don't worry about a bit of splashing since it's cooled when it gets to the fermenter. I then aerate with an O2 tank and stone.

I just cool the brewpot and the ~2 gallons of wort in the icebatch to 70-80, then dump into primary aerating as much as possible.

If I don't make a starter for the yeast and just rehydrate it before pitching, then I aerate the wort even more (directly) after I pitch the yeast by stirring vigorously with sanitized spoon or putting a lid on and sloshing her around...

I connect the CFC to the spigot on the kettle, and open the spigot. I also have a false bottom in the kettle, and use whole hops. This prevents the hops clogging the chiller, and filters out a lot of the hot break material. I do however get most of the cold break in the fermenter.

-a.

I brew in the garage and ferment in the basement. So, after cooling with a wort chiller, pour from the brew pot through a course strainer with lots of splashing into the plastic bucket. Carry the bucket to basement and pour again through a funnel into the primary. Alway get a lot of foam in the primary. But with two pours should be lots of aeration.

i swirl the wort whilst it's still hot before putting the chiller in. then cool it, collecting the hot break/trub in the center. then i use a racking cane and syphon hose to transfer the wort.. if i use whole hops, the get stuck in the spring on the bottom of my cane, and filter the beer real nice, it takes a bit longer but it's nice and clear. if it's pellets, i aim for the sides and try and keep as much crud out of the primary as possible. the last batch with pellet hops and irish moss, the hop trub actually mushroommed up and floated atop the wort, making it easy to hit the clear wort on the bottom/side of the kettle.

Back