Healthy Head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavandeh

Reaction score
My yeast is plugging away in here, but I've never seen a batch of wort with so much brown aggregate on the head. Does this look healthy?

This is what it looked like before I went to bed:
batch1_day1.5_small.jpg

This morning:
batch1_day2_small.jpg

Must admit I'm a little worried, but I'm prepared to wait it out for a while.

looks perfectly fine to me. Just so you know, head is the foam on top of a poured beer and the foam on top of a fermentation is called a "Krausen." No big deal but using the right terms will help you get a proper answer when you don't have nice pictures like these.

I've assimilated a new acronym to my vocabulary: RDWHAHB. I added some more sugars for the yeast to munch on today (day 3). The air lock is bubbling about how it was early day 2. I plan on taking a sample as soon as I get access to a hydrometer. It'll be sitting for a while yet!

I'm itching to get a batch of pumpkin ale or a more wintery themed brew fermenting in the primary soon though.

More specifically, the sugar was in the form of maple syrup, and honestly, I don't know. It's just what the recipe called for! :)

I found it in "Extreme Brewing", a book my roommate had, written by Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head Brewery. This book is laden with mistakes and terrible technical writing, but that's neither here nor there. He may not be able to write well, but I've had a few of his brews and I can't complain about them.

Off topic: Do you have the recipe for your pumpkin ale? That's the next thing I'm brewing. Looking to be heavy on the pumpkin/spice! :)

Off topic: Do you have the recipe for your pumpkin ale? That's the next thing I'm brewing. Looking to be heavy on the pumpkin/spice! :)

Taken from the 3 Dog Brew BrewLog at http://www.3dogbrew.com/BrewLog/default.aspx

This is a partial mash recipe. The pumpkin "meat" was mashed with the 2 Row and Crystal malts at 154 for 60 minutes.

Rinse pumkin and 'carve' into quarters. Bake at 350° for 1.5 hours. Cool and peel skin, store in refrigerator.

Mash pumpkin meat and grains in 150° water for 1 hour

Drain and sparge with 170° water to make 6 gallons

Boil wort for 60 minutes, adding 1oz Fuggles at first boil
At 30 minutes add 1/2 oz Bullion Hops and 1 tsp Irish moss
At 45 minutes add extract and wort chiller (immersion type)
At 50 minutes add remaining 1oz Fuggles hops
At 55 minutes add spices in steeping bag until flame out

Cool wort to pitching temperature.

Measured SG @78° of 1.060, corrected for temperature to 1.062

Ingredients List
Qty UoM Type Name
1 Vial Liquid Ale Yeast White Labs - Burton Ale WLP023
7.3 lb LME Pale
1 lb Malt UK Light/Med Crystal
1.5 lb Malt US Two Row
5 lb Other Pumpkin pie meat
0.5 oz Pellet Hops Bullion