Help..in the middle of my brew!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred_zepp

Reaction score
i totally misread my thermometer. i was trying to mash at 152...i mashed at 52 CELSIUS. then i sparged at 70 Celsius. already dumped the grain in the dirt...i'm starting my boil right now.

can is save this??? i'm just starting my boil now. shall i just boil a lot off???

How long was your mash? Your going to have a dry beer with probaly little head retention due to the 125F being in the protien range.

what kinda sparge? Fly or batch?

Did you do an iodine test for conversion? Did the wort taste sweet?

The 70C (158F) sparge might have allowed some more coversion in the alpha range. Is this a direct fired system (in which case the ramp up in temp might have helped).

As long as the wort tasted sweet (and/or the iodine test was good) you'll still have beer. Might want to add some maltodextrin for some body.

60 min mash
fly sparge
no iodine test (huh? whuttzat?)
direct fired
justnow tasted it... could taste *some* sweetness under the hops (60 min addition...all grain ESB kit from morebeer)
took a long time to ramp up....at least 30 mins

total noob... this is my first all-grain batch. oh well. i guess i'll let it ferment... and if its totally terrible... i'll just dump it.

"Some" sweetness doesn't sound good. Take a gravity reading after the boil and be ready to add some DME.

now at 70 minutes in the boil.

hydrometer reads .012 :mad:

estimated OG is 1.035-1.045

i have no DME on hand. Its still a long time till morning hear on the west coast.

oh well...it was only a 5 gallon batch...its only a $35 mistake right?

:eek:ummm... okay... i'm a total ******-nozzle.

in my frustration... i took a hydrometer reading quickly...then came back to it later to find it had gone from .012 to .020... and then i realized the sample i took hadn't cooled down. i cooled the sample with some tap water...then it read .035.

wow. even with all this idiocy i still have something that might turn out halfway decent.:eek:

Hey "******-nozzle", relax. As long as you identify your mistakes and don't make them repeatedly, then you will be well on your way to making fine beer.
Sounds like this one is going to be ok, so no worries.

i checked my sample later... it was 1.040...in the exact middle of the estimated range. i had krausen and regular bubbling at 8 am this morning.

wow.

things i will never do in the future:
1. START a brew day at 5 pm
2. Brew after a full day of work
3. Do ANY thing else while brewing
4. Brew without big thermometers on my pots.
5. Be such a wienie when **** hits the fan
6. Brew without DME on hand

i think i'm gonnna hit the LHBS to get some more grain this weekend:D:D

. . .things i will never do in the future:
1. START a brew day at 5 pm
2. Brew after a full day of work
3. Do ANY thing else while brewing
4. Brew without big thermometers on my pots.
5. Be such a wienie when **** hits the fan
6. Brew without DME on hand

i think i'm gonnna hit the LHBS to get some more grain this weekend:D:D

1. Yes you will.
2. Yes you will.
3. Yes you will.
4. Yes you will.
5. You prolly won't.
6. Yes you will.

7. Thats a good idea!;)

Back