The 60qt pot!!, too big???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeunc

Reaction score
I just my 60qt in yesterday from that Royal Palm rest supply store from that thread going arouns. Man is that a big pot!!! It was such a deal, couldn't pass up $40 bucks right to my door.

My question is, I will only do 5 gallon batches, I don't really see myself doing a 10gal. I have a 32 quart pot also and now this 60quart one.

Will the 15gal pot be too big for 5gallon batches and should I stick with the 8 gal pot? You know if I am boiling 6 to 7.5 for a 5gallon batch, will there be too much headspsace in the 15gal pot to keep it heated effectively? Or is "bigger always better"

thanks

thanks I just edited the post to get the mods to move this to equip forum,,I was in wrong forum when I started new thread..

i've got a monster 60 qt as well, I start with about 8 gallons and boil down to 5.5 or a bit over. Yes it's a bit big, but I dont have to worry about boil overs. It works just fine, plus I plan on doing 10gallons of Cream of 3 crops which should work out just fine.

Yes I agree, I was a bit intimidated as well when I unwrapped my new 60 qt. I did a water boil last night w/ about 7 or 8 gallons. I must say it is nice to have that much boiling and be well below the top of the pot. I am always surprised how much loss there is through every stage of the processs to boiloff, trub and hop debris, and then the yeast cake in the fermenter. A larger kettle will allow you to account for all this and up w/ a batch that is a true 5 gallons finished product.

Ahoy hoy,
I use a 50 qt for my 5 gallon batches, i use my 100 qt (and you think the others are big, this thing will hold a child) for 10 gallon batches.
The bigger the better against boilover, in my humble opinion
A great day to all!

Back