Moving to MD!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeasu

Reaction score
Hello Marylanders,

Just recently accepted a great job at JHUAPL, start Jan 26th! Seems like the homebrew and craft beer scene is pretty good out there. Wondering if I could inquire as to some of the areas to live. I had it in mind to look towards Just E of Rockville, say, to the E of Rock Creek Park, but think wifey's thinking the Columbia region is more feasible. I like the idea of occasional metro access, but day-to-day, should be working at APL main campus in Fulton. 4 kids, so schools pretty important, and looking for a SFH no greater than $400k, would like closer to $350. Opinions?

What are the must-try local brands? I'll be out there just before my start date, wife and kids to follow after closing on a MD house / selling the AZ house. Big beer festivals to watch for in 2015?

Thanks!

The two things you have to look forward to out here is being taxed for everything (including rain) and heavy traffic. Columbia is nice and centrally located. I live in Carroll county and work in Howard county. I work swing shifts to avoid the traffic (surprisingly I got out of the rain tax as well). Don't underestimate how much sitting in traffic sucks. And to do it day after day round trip. If you have any questions you can PM me. The beer scene I don't really know since everything is closed when I get out of work. Probably should rethink that.

I live in Rockville just east of Rock Creek Park (as in I walk there). It's a great neighborhood. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the area.

Regarding the beer scene, it's considered a wasteland. The county is the only "distributor" in Montgomery county so prices are high and selection is low. There seems to be a pretty good homebrew scene but I haven't gotten too involved in that.

You're not gonna find a SFH in Montgomery County for $350k near Rockville (at least not in a Section 8 area). Highways are overcrowded here but you learn to deal with it. I'd look at Frederick Co, Carroll Co, Washington County.

The beer scene is doing well (I wouldn't say Montgomery County is a wasteland until you've been to Florida). Flying Dog is in Frederick; Union, DuClaw, Oliver, Heavy Seas in Baltimore, Evolution is lower Eastern Shore but has statewide distribution. Jailbreak in Laurel, Frisco Tap House in Columbia. I'd highly recommend Max's in Baltimore City (Fells Point area).

I actually work at JHU/APL and I live in eastern Frederick county. It is about a 45 min commute (about 42 miles) but you are not sitting in traffic like mentioned previously around Rockville and other areas. It seems to be more affordable than Montgomery and Howard county also. As far as the beer scene in Frederick you will find Flying Dog (I am a member of their Junto Society, beer club), Monocacy brewing co. is associated with the local Brewers Alley brew pub. There is another local brewpub, Barley and Hops, and also a B.J.'s brewhouse. There is a nice Homebrew supply shop "the Flying Barrel" located in Frederick and near JHU/APL is another "Maryland Homebrew". There are a few local nano breweries opening up in the area also. There is also a nice home brew club, Frederick Original Ale Makers (FOAM) that is very active. Here is a shameless plug also, my wife is a real estate agent and is very familiar with the area. If you need any further input give me a "holler".

There is a nice Homebrew supply shop "the Flying Barrel" located in Frederick and near JHU/APL is another "Maryland Homebrew".

+1 on these HB shops. I live in DC and find excuses to trek out into MD to visit these 2, especially Maryland Homebrew. I live closer to the LHBS in Seven Corners, Virginia, but it's pretty awful.

Also, congrats on the job. APL is an excellent place to work. I'm an aerospace engineer working for the US Navy, so I'm familiar with the great work they're doing up in Baltimore.

Back