Not Buying BMC Ever Again... Am I alone in this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmdubb23

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the deal. I haven't bought a big business beer in quite some time, and I don't think I ever will again. It's not that I think I am too good for it. It's just every time I drink it, I find it lacking. Even Guinness and the other big name imports.

Please note that we have plenty of local breweries, and honestly I would rather give my money to them, than any big business brewery.

I just wandered if anyone else feels the same way.

Every beer has its place. I also have not purchased BMC in many months, but there are times when BMC fits the bill. Take for example offshore fishing in 95+ degree heat. Homebrews would kill you (assuming the bottles made the trip intact), while Miller Lite is akin to drinking Gatorade.

My favorite beer for that exact situation used to be yeungling, and I can drink it still... But I would rather have a mellow pale ale from a local place.

I've never really purchased BMC, but that's only because I live in the land of Yuengling, ask for a lager or a beer in a crappy little bar (like the doublewide trailer that served my college) and you got a Yuengling. That being said, if my father-in-law offers me an AmberBock I'll certainly drink it.

I've never really purchased BMC, but that's only because I live in the land of Yuengling, ask for a lager or a beer in a crappy little bar (like the doublewide trailer that served my college) and you got a Yuengling. That being said, if my father-in-law offers me an AmberBock I'll certainly drink it.

I throw yeungling in that group.

There are a lot of beers I find "lacking", even among craft brewers. I'm not going to not buy a beer because of who does or doesn't own the brewery.

Besides, I have to buy something to boil the brats in.

I wish I lived in the area of Yuengling but sadly it is hard to find in the midwest.

I will on occasion drink Coors. IMO I think it is the best of the Big Beer Companies. I agree on the +95 and fishing. Homebrew just doesn't fit in that situation but I have found a substitute over BMC...and that it Moosehead Lager. It is a bit skunky but it's a solid beer albeit from Canada, its pretty good.

You are a hater.

Yeungling brewed a porter when no one anywhere, including the UK, cared about porters. They deserve their success.

I personally think their porter is aweful. And I like porters. Yeungling used to be my "go to" brew. I loved the lager and the bock. But I would hardly consider them not mass-market.

Natty boh at an Os game, pbr or bud light like when it is a thousand degrees out and you just cut the grass. Miller light when at my neighbors house. Killians at some point in the fall. Guinness whenever I see it poured properly. Heck, I've even tried some sort of Budweiser red ale that was pretty decent. All that said, these are probably my 20% but they have a role.

There are a lot of beers I find "lacking", even among craft brewers. I'm not going to not buy a beer because of who does or doesn't own the brewery.

Besides, I have to buy something to boil the brats in.

I agree with that statement too. Plenty of terrible craft beer in the world. I only buy singles or big bottles these days anyway. Unless I am at dinner with the SWMBO, even then I can usually get something local.

Sorry, I'll butt out of this thread with this: I don't understand why anyone starts a thread about beers they don't like.

I have beers I don't like, and everyone else does too. Of course it comes down to personal preference.

Its not about what I don't like I was just curious if I was alone in this thought...

I guess I am

BMC is bigger than just what we think of some of the craft breweries that I see in the stores are owned by B,M,C they like to hide with the rest of us. I still enjoy coors when I want to pee alot in one night.

I've not bought beer to bring home in over two years now. Never really cared much for what BMC produced. Never tried Yeungling so I can't comment on their brews, but I'm not inclined to buy any to find out. I used to buy Guinness, Murphy's, Boddington's, and a couple of Sam Adams beers when I was buying. Sam Adams was meh most of the time (rarely had more than one). The others were bought only so often since they were more $$ for the amount you got. I would always go for the larger cans (with the nitrogen inside).

I won't begrudge a smaller brewery their success. IMO, any that can take market share away from BMC at least deserves respect, even if you don't purchase their products. That being said, I really don't have much respect for Sam Adams anymore.

When I go to a restaurant/pub/etc. I ask what's on tap. If there's something that sounds good, I'll get a sample first (if possible) and then order a pint accordingly. Unless I already know the brew is at least decent to drink. That being said, it's so easy to go to places that simply don't know how to properly dispense a style. Putting it on the wrong gas system can also completely change a brew. I had some Sam Smith where it was on nitrogen. I then had the same brew (at another place) that was on CO2. VERY different in the glass. I now also make it a point to ask what a place has on nitro. :D

BTW, there is a place in Portsmouth, NH that has really, really good Guinness. They clean the lines with each keg change (or at least they did the last time I went there) and have a rather high keg turnover. Several of the taps are dedicated to Guinness (or were). I need to get the name of the place so that I can swing in next time I go through that area. :D They also had a pretty good Ruben (more traditional, so done up right). :D

I like my house stout, bold city 1901, and intuition king street stout better than Guinness...

Different beers for different times, places, friends. Beer is nice in that there is a beer for every occasion. Saying what you did on the OP was requiring input from others since we all LOVE beer and want others to as well. Just a thought.

You're probably not alone, though its looking lome you might be. Plus, you just sound haughty... like a person who only buys groceries from Whole Foods :p

You're probably not alone, though its looking lome you might be. Plus, you just sound haughty... like a person who only buys groceries from Whole Foods :p

That's SWMBO, except it's grassroots, whole foods is too corporate.
Jk... Sort of...
Funny thing. I work for Walmart logistics...
Talk about working for THE MAN!

Exactly! Even though we agree with you for the most part. It just sounds pompous. Just like if I were to say I would never step foot in a Applebees, Chile's, TGI Fridays, etc...because there are way better, local restaurants out there.

I dont care for how AB/In-Bev is approaching the craft market so I steer clear of them and their products.
That being said, I am a very happy employee at Coors, where I have great pay and insanely good benefits, (which includes lots of free beer, from banquet to Leinenkugels). Being a happy Coors employee may make me biased towards them, and I admit that. Still, roughly 80-90% of what I drink is local craft and/or my homebrews.

Also I agree, a properly poured Guinness is hard to turn down, even though I don't care for Diageo as a company.

Exactly! Even though we agree with you for the most part. It just sounds pompous. Just like if I were to say I would never step foot in a Applebees, Chile's, TGI Fridays, etc...because there are way better, local restaurants out there.

Ummmmm, well, there usually are much better local places to pick from. :D IF I'm really hungry (and I'm talking about hungry enough to eat my own arm or leg) then I'll resort to one of those. I just find it difficult to get anything beyond meh from them. Of course, it's also been about 4 years since I set foot into a TGI, and several months since I went into a Chile's (someone else was buying). IMO, it's not hard to get better than Chile's. IMO, Wendy's has better food for most things. :eek: I can't recall the last time I went into an Applebees... Might have been sometime around 2000. :eek: :D

There are enough either local, or regional chain, restaurants out there (at least in this area) that are so much better than any of those. Hell even Red Robin is better than any of those. :D

I don't eat chile's, Applebee's or TGI Friday's... I don't think that's pompous either, they charge way too much for crappy food at those places... Throw burger king and Wendy's in that category too

I don't eat chile's, Applebee's or TGI Friday's... I don't think that's pompous either, they charge way too much for crappy food at those places... Throw burger king and Wendy's in that category too

You think Burger King and Wendy's charges way too much? :fro:

You think Burger King and Wendy's charges way too much? :fro:

For the quality of food. Yes! Last time I went to BK the SWMBO and I got 2 whopper combos large and it was 18$... For fast food... That's ridiculous! Mind you I am a cheap Bastard...

Back