Two 1500 watt heatsticks, only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are two 1500 watt heatsticks enough to maintain an adequate boil? I can install 20 amp receptacles in the basement and use 2000 watt sticks, but it's a fair bit more in terms of parts and labor, and 1500 watts will give me some flexibility about where I can brew (garage or basement). If I have to go 2000 watts I will, but I thought I would check with the voice of experience first.

thanks!

I use 1 3800w element in my boil kettle for 10 gallon batches, will bring 14 gallons from sparge temp to boil in about 25 minutes. Once it gets down to about 11 gallons from boil-off it's a pretty intense boil.

I have 2-2000W 120V sticks and have a very vigorous boil in 7 gallons with one on full and the second on 20%. You should have no problem.

How big a boil?

3000 watts will boil 11 gallons, but it will take a while longer.

For 6 gallon boils, 3000 watts should be plenty.

I use two 2000 watt sticks to boil up to about 13 gallons. Works great.

I have two 1500w elements in my kettle. It took around 25 minutes from sparge to boil, with around 8-9 gallons.

I am also curious to how you got the second element on 20% power. I am new to electric brewing and would like to know because I am designing my control panel. Thanks.

I am also curious to how you got the second element on 20% power. I am new to electric brewing and would like to know because I am designing my control panel. Thanks.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10760

I use the router speed controller linked above to throttle a second 2000w element. Has worked well for 10 batches or so...it does get pretty warm during use, but so far has worked well.

3000w should work well for 5 gallon batches, 2000w will even work under "ideal" conditions w/ patience.

Back