Getting sick, tired, and demoralized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you pitch a proper amount of healthy, viable yeast, at a proper temperature, aerate well and control ferm temps, in my experience both at home and at the pro level, you can have most beers done fermenting in 4 days or so, let it clean up for 3-6 days and have it out of the fermenter ready to go in 7-10 days.

I'm doing a couple of lagers now, I plan to leave them in the primary for the whole time -- two weeks at 52, diacetyl rest at 65, then down to 40 or so for four or five weeks before kegging. Heard secondhand one of the Jamil episodes they did this and the beer turned out great. I have done 10-21 days in the primary whenever I can, and I only secondary now to dry hop or to free up a primary fermenter.

Back to the original topic... I suggest you get someone else to brew your recipe, or do someone else's recipe exactly, then swap beers and compare your processes.

- Eric

Back