A question about Wyeast ACT3278 Belgian Lambic Blend and pitching rates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a pLambic soon, since the hop shortage is making me consider alternatives. Judging from its description, I can't tell if Wyeast ACT3278 Belgian Lambic Blend has viable yeast for fermentation. Is it just a blend of bacterium for lambics or does it have the bacterium as well as viable yeast?

Bonus question: I'm considering doing a bigger batch. Maybe 9-10 gallons. Would this require me to buy two smack packs of this yeast to reach the correct pitching rates? Or would it be okay to get one smack pack and supplement the pitching rate with some dry yeast packets?

I think "think being the key word" you would just want to do a starter and pitch that. No since in buying two packets.

Yes, there is a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae in the blend, so you don't have to pitch any extra yeast. You can't really make a starter with the blend, if you aerate the wort you risk harming the Pediococcus because it is microaerophilic. Either buy another packet or pitch one packet into the 10gal and wait (a really long time).

Iordz said:
Yes, there is a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae in the blend, so you don't have to pitch any extra yeast. You can't really make a starter with the blend, if you aerate the wort you risk harming the Pediococcus because it is microaerophilic. Either buy another packet or pitch one packet into the 10gal and wait (a really long time).

Just out of curiosity why no starter?

I think the sacc strain is the wit yeast, you could pitch a starter from a pack/tube of that, and then pitch the lambic blend after primary fermentation. Basically, its not the best for Pedio to be in a well oxegenated wort or starter. But I think it will work OK, I tasted one of mine with this blend today and it tastes like pure lactic acid. I pitched one pack, no starter, and mildly aerated the wort.
But I'd just pitch two blends maybe, rather than buy one lambic blend and one wit(for starter) - just buy two lambic and no starter.

Yes, it does contain yeast. All of their lambic blends do. They also sell straight Brettanomyces and Lactic Acid Bacteria cultures and unblended Lambic yeast, but 3278 is:

"Contains a selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces including Belgian-style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria. While this mixture does not include all possible cultures found in Belgian Lambics, it is representative of the organisms most important for the desirable flavor components of these beers as they are brewed in West Flanders."

Back