Mash Tun Cooler Conversion Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meteorbrews

Reaction score
Just picked up a 5G round cooler from home depot to convert to a mash tun. I was just going to pick up a standard conversion kit from bargainfittings, but it mentions that the hole can't be bigger than 7/8", so I took the spigot out and measure the hole and it's 1". Is there some sort of work around to this or is the gasket that comes with the cooler the key to making all of this work?

Thanks,

Brad.

I don't know for sure, but I'll bet it's fine. You may have read 1" since you're talking 1/8th of an inch difference. Did you measure it with a tape measure and use the end? that little clip thing can cause about an 1/8th of a difference if not done proper.

At first I used a tape measure, then I confirmed it by placing a 1" drill bit in the hole.

The pipe nipple passing through the cooler is probably 7/8", so there may be some wiggle in the setup but probably won't leak. Mine is supposedly all the right size and it drips. Nothing a paper towel under the tun won't band-aid. Kyle

Well I went ahead and ordered a bulkhead and 3 piece 1/2" ball valve from Ontario Beer Kegs, and everything went together very easily. I just kept the gasket that came with the cooler and used that in the bulkhead contruction along with the other silicone o-rings/ss washers. I filled it up with water and after an hour, still no leaks and the temperature only dropped 1.3F over that time.

001.jpg

Back