First recipe...Belgian Dark...Feedback please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mt4080

Reaction score
Ok, Here's the facts; I haven't brewed my first batch yet. This recipe is intended to become the first, if i can get it worked out. It was written while drinking Chimay Blue, and that's the profile, give or take, that I'm aiming for.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated so that I can start off great!

6# Amber malt extract
3# Dark Malt Extract
1/2# Black Patent
1/2# Crystal 120L
1/4# Munich

1oz Hallertauer (60 min)
2oz Cascade (20 min)
1/2oz Mt. Hood (5 min)

WLP500

the only place i have available to ferment is always between 63-68 degrees, so it should be solid for this.....i hope!

You won't get anywhere close to Chimay Blue with that recipe.

Ditch the dark malt extract, black patent, crystal, and munich, and the cascade and mt. hood. One bittering addition should be enough hops.

Use D2 syrup for the coloring (about a pound) and use Special B instead of the crystal 120, and use light malt extract for the base.

You will also need a big starter.

Especially since it's your first beer, you should majorly lower your expectations for cloning Chimay Blue. But if you tell yourself from the beginning that it's "inspired by" then you'll be excited for what you make.

You're going to need a total of at least 10# malt extract. Nateo is right about making light DME as the bulk of it. I think you'll also need at least 2# of some sort of sugar. D2 is a good choice for at least half of it, and you could get away with using regular granulated sugar for the rest. Special B and Amber DME will probably get you to the color you want.

If you don't know how to make a yeast starter, then you'll need to pitch at least 4 vials of yeast in this beer. If the vials are more than a month old you'll need 5.

In addition to the above advice, make sure you pitch the yeast when the wort temperature is down in the low 60s range. Let the temperature rise during the course of fermentation. (There are a number of fermentation schedules (temps) to use for great Belgian-style beers, each producing different results. The above is probably the simplest with limited equipment. Read "Brew Like A Monk" for heaps more information on this.)
If you're using malt extract and your OG is above 1.070, I'd use up to 3 pounds of sugar in a 5 gallon batch to help dry it out. D or D2 Candi Sugar for 1-3 pounds of it, cane sugar for the other 2-0 pounds.
USE A BLOW OFF TUBE UNLESS YOU WANT BEER ON THE CEILING.
Be patient, let the beer sit on the yeast for a week or two after visible signs of fermenting have stopped before bottling or transferring to a secondary aging vessel.

Be patient, let the beer sit on the yeast for a week or two after visible signs of fermenting have stopped before bottling or transferring to a secondary aging vessel.

Scratch that. Let it sit for a MONTH or two on the yeast.

For your first beer, this is pretty ambitious and you may run into problems. For such a high gravity ale, I suggest making a very large starter. Also, everyone in this thread has good ideas. No offense but your recipe has very little Belgian about it. Take the suggestions people have given you and start over. I would suggest something like this:
9 lbs light DME
1 lb sugar or honey
0.5 lbs Special B
0.5 lbs Aromatic

feedback greatly appreciated folks! This is why i'm glad there are others out there to help point out the flaws we can't see ourselves!

Back