Sediment in Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritobandito

Reaction score
So I recently made my 2nd batch of hard cider using some store bought cider. The first batch I made, I used apple juice which cleared up completely. This batch was cloudy when I made it and cloudy when I bottled it.

After having it bottled for a few weeks, I noticed sediment in the bottoms on the bottles. It tastes great, but when I drink it I usually dump out the last inch or so in the bottle to avoid pouring the sediment into my glass. What I'm wondering is this stuff safe to consume. I figured it's just dead yeast but I'm still cautious about it.

Dead yeast won't hurt you but you still don't want to consume it. It does weird things to a lot of people's digestive systems.

You could pour from the bottle into a glass to drink it and then you won''t be disturbing the sediment nearly as much, will waste less of your homebrew, and plus... its just classier:mug:

Ya I have been pouring into a glass then pouring the rest of the bottle down the drain. It's not like a thick layer of yeast at the bottom, but you can easily see some chunks floating around.

How long was the cloudy batch in the fermenter? What yeast did you use? Chunks of yeast that settled out once it was bottled seems to indicate it could have used more time in the primary (or secondary if you do that) to clear up, or maybe could have been cold crashed.

If something tastes good I don't mind if it ain't clear- but chunks floating around in the bottles is kinda gross.

+ 1 on the above - its yeast sediment. As with bottle conditioned homebrew, you pour carefully into the glass, leaving the final bit and the sediment in the bottle.

You bottled too soon. It should be clear before you bottle it.

It's not dead yeast either. Unless you pasteurized it, it's live yeast. ;)

Stop pouring it down the drain also. Drink it from the bottle to keep what's in the glass clear. It's healthy for you...vitamin B.

Good Morning Guys,

I have a batch going now that is Motts Natural that I added brown sugar and honey to. Started out very cloudy, but is now pristine clear and a beautiful bronze color. It's 6 mos. old and has been racked twice. Like was said before, maybe not long enough in secondary. I'm new at this, too, so have fun and start another batch!! Tons of useful info on clearing and bottling in the archives!

Back