how to smoke your own?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EugeneStyles

Reaction score
Okay, I did a search but couldn't find anything...

My two local HBS don't currently stock peated malt. On Tuesday, my partner and I will be brewing either a Peppermint Pale Ale (I had Whitbread with some mint leaves in it and thought it was awesome, even modified my recipe a little to be closer to the taste of Whitbread), or a peated Scotch Heavy, based on whether or not he likes the minty beer when I give him a taste.

If we go with the Scotch Heavy, we could always skip the peated malt, or else smoke some ourselves (he has some peat moss and a grill). Ordering it online isn't an option if we want it for Tuesday. Though, if we wait a few weeks, we can either order it, or get it from Perfect Brewing, which is right down the street from me and said they will have a new distributor for it in a few weeks.

But anyway, our thought on smoking was to put the grain (we're using American 2-row - I presume you can use any base malt) in a pan on the grill. We'll burn some wood chips and some peat moss in the bottom of the grill and then keep the top on, with the vents closed. Does anyone have more experience with smoking their own grains and have a better suggestion, or know about how long we should smoke them for?

So, this was an 8-year-old question, but nobody answered it and I was looking for info about smoking malt. I've read that you can smoke malt right away and use it, but I've also read to let it sit in a paper bag for 2 weeks afterward. I'm not sure which is better.

I smoke my meats at home on a side firebox smoker and when I am planning on making a rouch style beer with some smoked maly, it's just another excuse to smoke a brisket or ribs or even sausage. I usually use all hickory on those and I found if I put 2-row (whole) in a metal pan with small holes punched in it, I can get a nice smoke on it. I will add the grain to the smoker after I pull the meat off and I just add another chunk of hickory or maybe 30-45 min or when I see the grain start to turn a little dark. I also like to taste the grain right off the smoker to see what type of flavor I get, if I like the flavor of the grain then I pull it off. I typically let it cool at room air temps covered with tin foil and then crack the grains on brew day. Typically I brew the next day but I can only imagine that these grains can be kept for a while if vacuumed sealed.

I smoked my own for a few years, but then the kid came along and I didn't want to get caught with that kind of operation. I highly recommend it.

Oh... this is the beer forum, nvmd.

Latest posts

Back