Stuck fermentation barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cthompson116

Reaction score
Ok, I brewed J D harvests barleywine about two months ago.

OG 1.115
I don't remmber the exact yeast but it was white labs and I pitched two vials. (Should have done a starter)

Moved to secondary after two weeks with a reading of 1.045 (Should have left it in primary until FG, I know that now)

6 weeks later checked and it was 1.038. (Recipe says 1.020 for finish)

Now, I'm pretty sure I'm stuck but will check again in a few days.

Was thinking of creating a starter and re-pitching with nottingham or I should I just wait?

Any Advice appreciated

Chris

You won't want to make a starter with Nottingham. Dry yeast cell counts are higher than the liquid type, so there's really no need.

I would try getting it a few degrees warmer. Not anything drastic, but a temperature change can spark activity. I do think taking it off the yeast cake so quickly is what happened here, but you're also at 10.3% alcohol and 65% apparent attenuation.

To kickstart something that is already at 10%+, I'd think maybe look into a champagne yeast.

I'm more concerned about bottle bombs as this will be bottled and not kegged. If I was kegging, I would just keg it as is.

I dont think this would qualify as a stuck fermentation if you moved from 1.115 to 1.038 and need to hit 1.020. Try raising the temperature as suggested and maybe give it more time and you should hit FG.

Ok. So Its now almost a month later and SG is now 1.036. I'm going to raise the temp to 82 and see what happens. I think its pretty much done but do not want to risk bottle bombs. Any advice on this matter?

Thanks,

Chris

If it was me I'd probably rehydrate some nottingham and try pitching that to get it to work on it.

Next time you may want to look into pitching on a yeast cake of an earlier brew.

I actually don't think I'd use Nottingham here and I don't think I'd go raising the temp too much. I'm not completely sure about Nottingham, but a lot of yeasts don't tolerate high alcohol %'s very well especially where they are starting out from dry or a small starter. I suspect N'ham is one of those that won't tolerate high alcohol that well.

If this were me & my barleywine, I'd actually add a wine yeast at this point -- It'll tolerate the alcohol and will knock things down a bit to a reasonable level without completely drying it out. Because most of the alcohol will have been created by an ale yeast, most of the taste will go along with the ale character, so I don't think you'll lose that.

Good luck.

Thanks guys.

I turned the temp up a bit. Now 80 and airlock is starting to burp a bit. I'll wait a few days and check SG again. Not sure if temp increase causes CO2 to expel from the beer or its actually causing fermentation to take place.

Thanks,

Chris

Nobody wanted to tell him that 80* might be a bit high for fermentation? Is it okay to bring the temperatures up a bit after primary has taken place? I'm in the same situation he is, only a little behind on the timeline.

When you raise the temperature the liquid expands some which would cause some initial bubbling. Also, you are right that warmer beer holds less CO2.

I hope it is retaking off.

How high can I go with temperature?. I'm at 81 or so right now. its burping about twice a minute right now.

Thanks all,

Chris

High temp is bad during the early stages of fermentation. I think he will be ok if he keeps it that high for a day or two and get some activity going.

Ok. Not moving. stuck at 1.036. Thinking of re-pitching. Should I use a Champane Yeast or go with Notty? Or Should I just bottle?

cthompson I pitched a double pack of champagne yeast into mine. I haven't checked it yet to see if it has moved at all but my ABV is quite a bit higher than yours...I would use champagne over notty, but as far as just bottling it is concerned...How's it taste?

It tastes pretty good. a bit sweet maybe, with a dry aftertaste. Did you make a starter or just pitch double?

Thanks for the reply

Chris

Back