Concerned About that Darn Cide taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
Quick question. Will 2.5 lbs of Rice Solids, 1 pound of Candi sugar, 1 pound of Molasses late in boil and 3 lbs
of Buckwheat for steeping. Does this sound like a recpie for a "Cidery" tasting beer? And of course my hops Corn sugar for priming.
Andy

Actually it sounds pretty....disgusting.

:D

That is a lot of sugar that's going to ferment out, it's going to be dry, and probably cidery...This isn't one of the recipes from "sacred and herbal beers" is it?

Well, what do you suggest? Based on the recipe above. Keep in mind that I need Rice Solids for my Gluten Free Beer.

I personally don't like molasses, so I'm not able to be unbiased, but 1 pound of molasses is a LOT of molasses. Like David said, it would overpower everything else in there.

Now I understand the rice solids...

Hmmm well, I like mollases but that seems to be a lot of it...and without any other spices it will to me be pretty strong tasting and kinda "bland" think about the different mollases cookies you may have tried over the years...some are just mollases, but some are mollases and ginger, or mollases and clove...yadda yadda yadda....Mollases alone is an aquired taste...

If I were doing this, I might consider swapping the mollases with maple syrup (who doesn't like maple?) Or a 50/50 mixture of both...

Or even mollases and brown sugar...I like that combination, and have used it in some things myself.

Just a thought...

You could consider making a gallon of this recipe before committing to a big batch of something that could conceivably taste nasty.

Back