Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer October Hefekin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhuff

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WP300
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 mins
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 to 10 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Nice sweet pumkin flavor, with the hefeweizen mouthfeel
I liked this because it is quick to drink and I wanted to compare with a pumkin ale I did.

1 lb German Pilsner
1 lb Torrified Wheat
3 lbs Wheat LME
.5 oz Tettenager 60 min
.5 oz Tettenager 15 min

Remove from heat
1 can pumpkin (baked 20mins at 400 with 1 tsp of pumpkin spice)
1 tsp of pumpkin spice

Mash Pilsner, and torrified wheat 30 mins at 155 with 2 1/2 qts water
Sparge with 2 qts @ 170

At bottling time, add 1 tsp of vanilla extract with 1/4 cup of corn sugar.

Jay's Hefekin turned out great! He also did a Pumpkin Ale that everyone drank just as fast.

The sweet seasonal flavor of the caramelized pumpkin gives it a great beginning but is not overpowering. The hops are subtle and add enough flavor to round out the overall taste. Jay's Hefekin ends with a nice malty flavor and a great pumpkin aroma. The body on this beer is medium and lends itself to a great head after mild carbonation.

I'd suggest others give this one a try. I will certainly be brewing this one again (with or without Jay).

Thanks for the great brew, Jay!

Thanks Bunk for that review. I think I would cut back just a bit on the amount of spice I used... don't know if I put it in the recipe, but I added another tablespoon of spice before bottling and I thought it was a bit strong. Very drinkable though.

Back