Accidentally dumped in priming sugar too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBulldogg

Reaction score
I started my first batch yesterday (from a kit) and later realized I goofed in that I dumped in the 5 oz dextrose packet along with the rest of the ingredients (ie. the priming sugar). It's bubbling merrily right now so it seems the yeast is happy, but the question is: should I add another 5 oz dextrose when it's time for bottling?

Thanks,
Matt

MrBulldogg said:
I started my first batch yesterday (from a kit) and later realized I goofed in that I dumped in the 5 oz dextrose packet along with the rest of the ingredients (ie. the priming sugar). It's bubbling merrily right now so it seems the yeast is happy, but the question is: should I add another 5 oz dextrose when it's time for bottling?

Thanks,
Matt

you will be fine. Just little more ABV.
And use another 5oz of dextrose at bottling time.

Kai

Yes....Yes you should.

At the present moment the yeast sees all of the sugar as food and will not stop until the food is all gone.

This will not hurt your batch, and is not really enough to raise the alcohol content so everything will be fine.

So if you "do not" want flat beer, than you must add more sugar just before bottling.

Igor

Back